inTank Media Baskets

how to grow calurpa

michaelmouae38

michaelmouae38

Hi all I got a hermit crab today and asked for a couple of pieces of bubble calurpa, just wondering what is the best way to get this stuff to grow. I have a 4gal finnex with 5 pounds of live sand and 5 pounds of live rock.

Hi all I got a hermit crab today and asked for a couple of pieces of bubble calurpa, just wondering what is the best way to get this stuff to grow. I have a 4gal finnex with 5 pounds of live sand and 5 pounds of live rock.

It is most likely to be grape calurpa, to get it to grow all you need is light and nutrients (mainly nitrates).

The one drawback to grape calurpa is that if you do not keep light on it 24/7 it may become sexual releasing spores and reeking havoc on you tank. It is considered a fast grower so trim often. Hope this helps.

You don't need light on it 24/7 it does fine with 12. Where is the wild would it get 24 hours of light?

Your right it doesn't need 24/7 light to grow. I just worry about it going sexual and crashing a tank. The best way to help prevent it from going sexual is to light it 24/7. Although that is not even fool proof. Imo.

First H+2 O

Then add caulerpa.

Seriously.

Then rip your hair out for months for adding it in the first place.

I'd highly suggest not doing grape. I hate the stuff. It grows too fast, the roots are flimsy. I do like razor and fern. Grows a lot slower for me, and if I pull a piece out it doesn't regrow in the same spot.

If you dont want it going sexual then keep your nitrates up. You may have to dose small amounts of KNO3 and make sure you keep it trimmed. Ive had it for a while now and I have never had it go sexual on me I have also never head of it going sexual on anyone that maintains it. Just rip out a bunch weekly and youll be fine.

michaelmouae38

It has remained the same as when I put it n but now I see these little hair like roots?? coming from it. Is that roots???

Yes, they'll hold the plant to the rock and sand. They aren't true roots because caulerpa is an alga not a plant; they're called rhizoids. The entire caulerpa is actually just a single cell -- the largest single-celled organism in the world actually.

johnmaloney

i thought that was acetabularia and caulerpa was a multi-cell macro, that is why you can chop and regrow it by fragmentation. ..

It prefers bright light if you can do that. You can get great growth rates under halides, it grows slow in low lighting. Very manageable under 3 watts per gallon PC lighting, fast growth under 5 watts per gallon of Halides with decent reflectors and 14k Phoenix bulbs.

lakshwadeep

Caulerpa are single-celled but contain multiple nuclei, and you can "frag" them carefully by squeezing them before breaking.

+1 . I think acetabularia may only have one nucleus, which makes it unique. Valonia (bubble algae) is also a single cell. Good trivia to impress people looking at your tank (if they're a bit nerdy too).

Archived