ReefCleaners.org

macroalgae in display?

Thrassian Atoll

Thrassian Atoll

I was wondering, what are some macroalgaes that would look good in the main display? Also, ones that do not spread like wildfire. Instead of putting cheato in my rear chamber, I was thinking about just having a nice display piece of macro.

If you have a picture of some in your display, please post or give a link. Thanks

I was wondering, what are some macroalgaes that would look good in the main display? Also, ones that do not spread like wildfire. Instead of putting cheato in my rear chamber, I was thinking about just having a nice display piece of macro.

If you have a picture of some in your display, please post or give a link. Thanks

Generally, the slower growers are not great for nutrient export. They will only slightly reduce nitrates. But good candidates are red grape caulerpa, titan, halymenia, any calcifieds such as udotea or halmeida, and ochtodes looks awesome in a display.

Thrassian Atoll

Thank you. That is a lot of choices. I do not mind a fast grower and having to trim it, as long as it does not spread throughout the tank. Do you have any of those in your main display?

I heard of Dragons Breath...do a lot of people put that in their display?

johnmaloney

yeah halymenia looks great. do you find that you get good growth out of the chaeto in the back compartment? people I have talked to seemed to struggle with it.

To add to the list, I like the look of codium. Specifically I've found codium edule to look and act like the large version of mosses in freshwater aquariums. Very versatile, will take low to high light and when it starts getting too big, just trim it off or pull it appart! Easy maintenance too.

Thrassian Atoll

I actually have some cheato in my main display right now. The tank has only been up for a couple of months so I put some up there for now. I do not want to put any I'm the back. I do not really have any room for it. It's growing, not fast but growing, up front. I figure I could get something that looks good though. I just not have seen many pics where people have some nice algae in their display. Thanks for all the choices everyone. I will look those up. I would still like to see some pics though

Your best source and resource for macro algae: www.reefcleaners.org Look it up and check back often! Availability on John's website changes almost every day! Some new things appear some things that become out of stock disappear.

Coincidentally, he's responded to your query (above my post) and he's also a sponsor on this forum. :happy::lol:

johnmaloney
I actually have some cheato in my main display right now. The tank has only been up for a couple of months so I put some up there for now. I do not want to put any I'm the back. I do not really have any room for it. It's growing, not fast but growing, up front. I figure I could get something that looks good though. I just not have seen many pics where people have some nice algae in their display. Thanks for all the choices everyone. I will look those up. I would still like to see some pics though

oh okay, I had assumed it was in the back.

Thrassian Atoll
oh okay, I had assumed it was in the back.

So you would recommend halymenia? That tends to stay in one place?

carbon-mantis

Just remember that larger snails will eat Halymenia. I'd second codium, c.taylorii looks very nice after it's branched out a bit.

+1 to reefcleaners!

Codium looks great, also calcified algae look nice in the display, but I think they don't take up nutrients as fast. Red titan or dragon's breath looks nice paired with green macros

doppelganger
Halimenia is the one known as dragons breath? That and the red titan look good.

yes Halymenia is typically known as dragons breath/tongue

Thrassian Atoll
+1 to reefcleaners!

Codium looks great, also calcified algae look nice in the display, but I think they don't take up nutrients as fast. Red titan or dragon's breath looks nice paired with green macros

What is the one in the bottom left of your tank? It is a brighter red than the top right macro. Now does that stay put pretty well?

yes Halymenia is typically known as dragons breath/tongue

Thanks

Just remember that larger snails will eat Halymenia. I'd second codium, c.taylorii looks very nice after it's branched out a bit.

Thanks I will have to remember that

I have 5 none invasive kinds in my display.

Dragons breath, Codium eldua, Red Grape, Purple Larencia And helimeda(money plant).

Plus I have some red invasive short leafy stuff taking over all my live rock.

And in my sump I have cheato, green grape, Halimeda, the disc shaped calpera And larencia.

Its hard to go over board on Macros and mixing them with coral just looks more natural. I trim the dragons breath, Codium, almost every other week and my colonies are still getting larger. I could trim the red grape just as often but I am growing it as large as I can.

These ones don't do as well a job as cheato but between a few good types they do a great job. It think most tanks should have it even if you don't need it as a nutrient export.

Thrassian Atoll
I have 5 none invasive kinds in my display.

Dragons breath, Codium eldua, Red Grape, Purple Larencia And helimeda(money plant).

Plus I have some red invasive short leafy stuff taking over all my live rock.

And in my sump I have cheato, green grape, Halimeda, the disc shaped calpera And larencia.

Its hard to go over board on Macros and mixing them with coral just looks more natural. I trim the dragons breath, Codium, almost every other week and my colonies are still getting larger. I could trim the red grape just as often but I am growing it as large as I can.

These ones don't do as well a job as cheato but between a few good types they do a great job. It think most tanks should have it even if you don't need it as a nutrient export.

I really think I am going to get some dragons breath and if that does well, I might get a couple of other types.

Check out my tank :)

They really do create an awesome effect in display tanks. When you mix the reds with browns and greens, you definitely get a stark contrast that stands out.

Archived