Cultivated Reef

VHO's on 20H

Fishtails

I am in the process of switching from PC to VHO on my 20H. I've never had any experience with VHO, nor have I ever seen them running in person. I'd like to know the Pros/Cons of them, bulb life, efficiency, and so forth. All help is greatly appreciated.

Alex

Reefer_Buddha

You probably wont see a huge difference with vho, just brighter fluorescents really. Personally i dont see why people even waste money on vho, id just go straight to halide and not deal with the middle of the road lighting.

Reefer,

Cost wise, is the VHO worth it over PC's? I was going to get them in a trade. IT's hooked up to an ICECAP 430, so if I wanted to go back to PC, I suppose I could use the ballast.

Just, from most the pictures I've seen of VHO's, the color is awesome, but is it also as benefical or more benefical than PC's. Could I keep SPS, as opposed to PC's where most people would reccomend against it.

All help is appreciated,

Alex

Reefer_Buddha

cant say yes or no as to what you can keep until you tell me wattages. Clams and sps need good lighting and for a 20H id say about 150-175w over that tank. I dont have clams but i want one and i have pc + halide over my 20L.

If you can get it in a trade then thats cool. VHO is better than PC if you have to choose between the 2.

theclearblue

I have to say after viewing them in person, VHO is far better than PC. I don't know how to verbalize it very well, but it seemed brighter and crisper 2-75w VHO vs. 3-55w PC.

If you have the money, go metal halide. Price out exactly what you want to get in VHO, and then take a look at how cheaply you can set up a MH system. You'd be surprised how close they come in price.

Over a 20H you'd only be able to run 24" bulbs, so you could probably do a 4 bulb retrofit for 300 watts. There are several tanks on RC that are solely lit by VHO, and they're as good as any other thank I've seen. So, its possible you could keep some SPS.

If you do decide to do VHO, I'd recommend the PFO VHO retrofit from premiumaquatics.com over the hellolights version. The PFO allows you to do a dawn to dusk, whereas hellolights will only allow all off/all on. Or you can collect the components on your own, it would be cheaper and you'd be able to set it up how you like.

PROS: Less initial setup cost than metal halide, better than PC lighting

CONS: MH beats it hands down, shorter bulb life, if you're spending that much - put in the extra 50 to do it right - Metal Halide.

Thanks guys for all the help.

Reefer, its setup w/ 2x75W bulbs( 10k/ 03 ). Yes, I was thinking the same over VHO being better than PC.

Theclearblue, its all being run on a Icecap430, so I may run up to 2 more bulbs if I want. Can't it also run T-5 and PC? As for cost and effieceny in the long run, I know MH is the best( NO Doubt ), but since this is going to be from a trade I really don't have to spend anything.

I was planning on SPS/LPS/Zoos( SPS possible? ). I may try clams after I feel the lighting is adequate enough.

Seems like so far the only cons' of the VHO is cost( Bulb Replacement ) which shouldn't be too bad considering I can order URI bulbs @ 20 each.

BTW, I am thinking of purchasing a 175W Halide also to run w/ the VHO's if I catch the SPS Bug. :D

Alex

VHOs put off more heat than PC...huh??! then not ideal for a nano, imo.

my LFS uses them all around (and mogul MH as well) and I've notice florescents are brighter, more colorful. I love the way VHOs look.

I was told VHO puts out more heat than PC, which probably is true. This will be no problem for me though as I plan on running a fan(s) and having the bulbs around 5" from the water surface.

As of now, I see VHO's being the best road to go and I'll probably stick to them.

But, I've owned PC and MH. I'm positive MH is the best, but when you're more into the asthetic appearence of your tank, you'd probably also do the nicest colors. I am in no way or form downing Halides, I know they're #1, but in the pictures I've seen of VHO the corals florese(sp.) in the greatest imaginable way.

Alex

Reefer_Buddha

youre just tryin to justify youre little "Trade" dont bullsh*t us :P VHO isnt the best and wont ever be greater than halides and thats the bottom line :) But to be honest its a lot better than pc so just use what you have.

Hehe Reefer, possibly so. : I just can't pass up this offer.This is how its' going to work.

I trade my R/C Car for a complete VHO setup. I sell my PC's. Buy MH with $ from PC's. Then I'm set. I might just do that. :P

I know w/o a doubt MH is #1 because I owned one before. At the time I was a dumbarse and traded it, but I am cool. :)

Now that I'm back on track, I think I can do it. IF I wanna do it, I will do it. I am gonna do it!

BTW, could I use a 'stormlight' for my MH? LOL, J/K. I had to throw that in.

Alex

theclearblue

Well Reefer_Buddha, not to respond in as rude a fashion as you did, take a look around reefcentral, there are tons of people who think that their VHO systems run cooler than similarly powered PC systems.

Reefer_Buddha

1. that was not rude at all it was common sense. Sorry if you took it as being "rude"

2. I dont frequent reefcentral due to the extreme stupidity ive seen there and really i could care less about people's pc/vho systems. Its already been proven halide is the best for reefs.

I finally recieved an Icecap 430 setup, but it has a 660 wiring harness. I'd like to wire the ballast up to the harness, but I was wondering how hard of a task it is, and what types of risk am I facing. I know it is possible as the original owner ran the 430 w/ the 660 harness. If anyone has any idea how I could possibly do this, I'd appreciate it greatly.

Thanks,

Alex

Reefer Buddha, where are you??? :*(

Archived