inTank Media Baskets

Cheapo PetsMart 10g hood: light upgrades?

deviousrhesus

deviousrhesus

If my 20 long turns out okay, my fiancee wants to turn her 10g into a nano-reef. Are there any retrofit kits for your run-of-the-mill hood? Price is a big concern, trying to keep lighting under 40 bucks.

If you just want to get things going while you (or your girlfriend) save up for some real lighting, you can use the "curlie" lights from home depot. These lights (the "daylight" ones) have a 6500K color temperature, so you'll get good growth, but the tank will look very yellow.

This is, of course, assuming that the hood has incandescent bulbs. If the hood has a normal fluorescent (sp?), then you're pretty much screwed, and you'll have to just buy a new hood or retrofit.

I really would suggest getting some real lighting, but if you just want something to light up the tank while it cycles and you grow out the coralline on your rocks, then the curlie lights will do the trick.

Good luck!

-q

I believe Coralife( ? ) sells the curly, screw in bulbs in 50/50. My LFS carries them and they're failry cheap( 13 per bulb ). Add two of those and that'd be good for a 10g reef.

Alex

i ripped out the ballast in my 10g hood and put in a 32w pc i got the ballest from HD and the bulb from my lfs the ballast is the one for that circle bulb and it has the same :: connector as a pc so it fits you just need to mount the bulb somehow and wire it up all real easy i left the relector in but you can take that out and maybe fit 2 32w in there and make a new reflector for it tell me if you want anymore info maybe a pic too

Archived