Cultivated Reef

A cheap little idea

Surfzup2k4

Well since i am on a budget, i am always thinking of ways to maybe save some money for some DIY's and after reading in here for awhile i was thinking of a way to get some materials to make a fuge for cheap. Well it just so happens that i happen to have a 10g tank here in my room :D It seems to me like the 10 dollar 10g aga tanks they have at Wal MArt are alot of glass for the money. Again, i could be totally wrong. You could get rid of the silicon on the 10g (or anysize tank) and use the glass sheets right? Seems like it is cheaper that buying the sheets seperatly :)

Originally posted by bones_bones

Ok, you've got my attention.  Where are you going with this?

I noticed some people build their own hob fuges. I was just posting this as a cheap alternative to either buying acrylic or glass. ;) Due to lack of funds, i am very slowly getting together everything i need for my nano i am hopefully etting up. The tank will be a 10g aga and i think i am going with a 10g sump. :

why would you want to break it down? Do you have a glass cutter to get perfectly measured and straight cuts?

You could use a 5.5Gal AGA like I am doing and save some room. check my thread here along the day as I progress through it.

Originally posted by MGXsport

why would you want to break it down? Do you have a glass cutter to get perfectly measured and straight cuts?

You could use a 5.5Gal AGA like I am doing and save some room. check my thread here along the day as I progress through it.

I am not cutting the tank down, it just gave me the idea. i was only posting this for people who like to make their own stuff and might need acrylic or glass sheets to make it.;)

Acrylic. It's not that expensive, and you "could" get away with cutting it yourself (score and snap). Look for a local plastics shop in your area.

If you do glass, you'd have to drill return lines and such in it, its a pain.

Do a look around the DIY forum.

• 4 weeks later...

You can cut a tank apart using a piece of string to saw them apart. Remove the trim and then work the strin into the silicon and saw away. works like a champ.

Archived