Top Shelf Aquatics

Pods

Amo2011

So I am running a sump/fuge. Bought some chaeto from john. Was packed full of pods.... I can see them in the fuge. My questions:

1) Are the pods getting in my tank?

2) I run a skimmer in the sump...... is this affecting them

3) How do i increase the pod population?

4) If the pods are not getting into my display how do i get them in there. I would like to build up and keep a steady population so that I can get a mandarin.....

thanks guys....

Any tips or tricks.... i will take them.

altolamprologus

If your water goes from your tank to the skimmer, then to the fuge, then back to the tank, pods are getting into the tank. If it goes to your fuge then to your skimmer, all the pods produced in your fuge are being taken out by the skimmer. If you want to further increase pod production, you can start dosing small amounts of phytoplankton (preferably live). Pods eat phytoplankton and detritis mainly so dosing phyto will give them a large food source therefore supporting as larger population and increased reproduction. If you have live rock in your display, you already have pods, even if you don't see them.

As for the mandarin, if you want to keep it in anything smaller than 50 or 100 gallons, you will need to culture pods or train it to eat frozen food or pellets. Even if you plan on training it, you still should culture pods to keep it well-fed through the training process. If you want help on starting a pod culture or info relating to it, PM me. I don't have my mandarin yet, but I'm working on it, and I have spent hours reading other's experiences and have taken note of successes and failures so if you want I can share that info with you.

Thanks I appreciate it.

So it goes tank, fuge, sump, skimmer back to tank.... looks like none of my pods are getting there... saddens me.

i appreciate your help and will reach out

• 4 weeks later...

Get some mesh and wrap it around some live rock rubble. Put them in your fuge and let the pods make there home. Once they are seeded put the pod packs into your display tank i would to it just before lights out so the pods get a clean break for your other LR. Cycle the pod packs from display to fuge every few days to keep the supply fresh.

skimlessinseattle
Sorry noobie question. Whats a pod?

Amphipods or copepods are small crustaceans that both fish and inverts will eat.

Get some mesh and wrap it around some live rock rubble. Put them in your fuge and let the pods make there home. Once they are seeded put the pod packs into your display tank i would to it just before lights out so the pods get a clean break for your other LR. Cycle the pod packs from display to fuge every few days to keep the supply fresh.

I like this method. Great idea.

On a related note, anyone have success populating the tank with pods with a HOB fuge by AC70 mod?

I bought a ball of chaeto from reefcleaners which has bunch of pods. tossed it into my AC70 w/ a InTank media basket for a week... but the chaeto started to die i'm guessing due to insufficient lighting. dead chaeto pieces were all in my display tank so I got rid of ALL chaeto.

Now, there are LOTs of pods in my tank and thriving. They are everywhere! and only thing I have in the AC70 now is filter floss, purigen, carbon w/ GFO.

I'm now in the process of finding a fish to hunt these pods that'll live happily in a 4gallon pico reef.

Pods = amphipods ... or copepods.. one of those. the little tiny bug-like thingys you see crawling in your tank.

• 2 weeks later...
hooligan_78

Your skimmer is not removing ALL of your pods before getting to the display. I NEVER see pods in my display during the day, but I do notice them running wild at night. Feeding them doesn't hurt though. Live phyto is best, but any small filter food will work. I feed mine occasionally with Reed's Oyster Feast.

Archived