Pod Your Reef

A pound is a pound is a pound?

Zeke

Ok, new to this nano-reefing. Just one quick question:

Rule of thumb for LR is 1-2 lbs per gallon. So does rock density matter? More dense = less space for the same poundage, which is better for swimming space. Thanks.

Zeke

Teh more dense the rock is the less surface area it has inside it. THis is where your beneficial bacteria and a whole hoste of other miscellaneous critters make their home. Basically teh less dense the rock is the better IMO.

1 pound of llight porous rock > 1 pound of solid rock.

plus, one pound of porous rock takes up a lot more space than one pound of dense rock. so when you're buying rock, especially online without seeing it, you have to consider if it will fit. 25 pounds of fiji takes up way more space than like 25 pounds of say that TBS rock.

That is only a rough guess to give people and idea. Every rock will be different but really you want to build it to your likings.

Cameron

Ok, I don't know how to classify my LRs because I just pick them up from my local reef :) and they are pretty dense (I find occasional hard coral-like pieces). So, can i use more lbs per gallon (say 3?) to compensate for their density? Will I get the proper filtration from that?

Archived