SaltCritters.com

ThePhilosopher's 5 gallon nano tank.

ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher

I guess this has sort of turned into an image journal. Today, the porcelain crab thought it would be a good idea to climb the gorgonian and stay perched there for the rest of the day, which I found interesting. It simply refused to come down from its perch, even while I was performing a five litre water change.

Commander Crustacean, the aforementioned porcelain crab, perched on the gorgonian:

HwQvb.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ThePhilosopher

One thing which always bothered me about the tank was its low flow. Apart from not being ideal for filter feeders, I think that not seeing corals swaying around in the flow automatically turns the tank into a static picture. So I decided that the best course of action would be to include a small 3.4W pump with a flow deflector attached to it. The flow deflector rotates so as to avoid creating a unidirectional current, which is both practical and aesthetically pleasing.

I also got to moving a few rocks around and attaching certain corals to the rockwork by means of aquascaping epoxy.

lcEg6.jpg

One thing which I regret doing is adding a sand-sifting starfish. It was partially an impulse purchase, since I had assumed it to basically be a brittle star with regards to its role in the tank's ecosystem. I haven't succeeded in getting it to accept other foods other than what fauna it finds in the sand, and I'm afraid the starfish will have to go as soon as possible. For what it's worth, at least it looks very pretty:

hZDnx.jpg

ThePhilosopher
Love the photos, what are you shooting with?

Thank you! I'm using a Fujifilm FinePix S4000 bridge camera. It's a fairly good camera, especially when you consider that a DSLR camera with its lenses might cost twice as much.

Love this tank, Awesome Crab!

Brian

Thanks! He's not as shy as he used to be, which is a definite plus. If all goes according to plan, he should have a few sexy shrimp room-mates soon enough.

Also, the sand-sifting starfish is getting returned to the LFS as soon as possible. Disaster averted; Lesson learned.

Archived