Pod Your Reef

Thinking about setting up a macro grow out tank...need some advice

keydiver

Ok, so now that I have my discsu moved out of my 40g, I have a spare tank, spare HoB filters, and a spare 2 bulb fni T5 fixture. I want to set up a macro growout, and just put it in my garage, but I want to get things sorted out before I attempt to do so.

First off, I was going to do sand bottom just for a place for microfauna and BB, but how much LR would I need? Can the nitrate cycle be acheived in just a sand bed? I want to use as little rock work as possible so I have the most area to growout macros.

Secondly, How do macros react to high temperatures. I'm in Sunny South Florida, in a garage with no AC, although it's not in direct sunlight. I don;t want to invest in a chiller, and I know macros are often found in extremely hot, shallow waters. So, my question to you is how does it affect the health of the algae, as well as the growth rate.s

Lastly, I plan to dose with dry fertilizers that you would use on a high tech FW planted tank. Most likely on a reduced scale, but I hope to supercharge the growth of the macros. Would these react differently to the ionic slurry found in saltwater than they would in FW? How high can I keep the nitrates, without causing the LS to become DS? It won;t be anything like a reef tanks parameters, but more like that found in a lagoon?

TIA for the help, -Tim

Ok, so now that I have my discsu moved out of my 40g, I have a spare tank, spare HoB filters, and a spare 2 bulb fni T5 fixture. I want to set up a macro growout, and just put it in my garage, but I want to get things sorted out before I attempt to do so.

First off, I was going to do sand bottom just for a place for microfauna and BB, but how much LR would I need? Can the nitrate cycle be acheived in just a sand bed? I want to use as little rock work as possible so I have the most area to growout macros.

Secondly, How do macros react to high temperatures. I'm in Sunny South Florida, in a garage with no AC, although it's not in direct sunlight. I don;t want to invest in a chiller, and I know macros are often found in extremely hot, shallow waters. So, my question to you is how does it affect the health of the algae, as well as the growth rate.s

Lastly, I plan to dose with dry fertilizers that you would use on a high tech FW planted tank. Most likely on a reduced scale, but I hope to supercharge the growth of the macros. Would these react differently to the ionic slurry found in saltwater than they would in FW? How high can I keep the nitrates, without causing the LS to become DS? It won;t be anything like a reef tanks parameters, but more like that found in a lagoon?

TIA for the help, -Tim

consider bioballs. and eheim substrat. the macros will do the rest ;)

consider bioballs. and eheim substrat. the macros will do the rest ;)

Eheim substrate as in the little ceramic disks that go in canister filters? That sounds like a good idea but they're pretty expensive, aren't they?

Eheim substrate as in the little ceramic disks that go in canister filters? That sounds like a good idea but they're pretty expensive, aren't they?

yes but better at what you need. bioballs being the cheapest solution.i'd strongly suggest. you consider a garage. "sump". it would be used for "dry rock" storage. and your remote DSB. most industria;l bins will work for this purpose but they are also 500 gallons to boot. id suggest looking at your local craigslist. for one. they run anywhere from 20-100 bucks used. get one of those. fill with dry rock from johnny, and get some REAL cheap dry sand as well. then have remote displays. for each macro algae. all dosing will be done via the central "vat" kno3, iron. etc.

id also strongly suggest staying away from any type of "live rock during setup" and have STRONG quarantine protocols. you DO NOT want bryopsis anywhere in this system. it WILL take over. scorched earth policy if you see it anywhere.

edit:

also your in florida. so you will be competing against other ppl in the area who have access to mother nature. who provides it for next to free. something to keep in mind. shipping macros for profit in your region is... difficult considering the competition if you were on the west coast and doing this operation it makes more sense given the nature of shipping from florida to california. a lot if not most macros/grasses do not fare well in a priority box. leaving shipping in the range of 45 bucks for any east coast over night shipping to westcoast conus.

pm if you want more info. i was gonna start a westcoast alge farm. but its still on the hold pattern for now. not sure if the finances can justify it , not until seawater becomes free again in my area.

yes but better at what you need. bioballs being the cheapest solution.i'd strongly suggest. you consider a garage. "sump". it would be used for "dry rock" storage. and your remote DSB. most industria;l bins will work for this purpose but they are also 500 gallons to boot. id suggest looking at your local craigslist. for one. they run anywhere from 20-100 bucks used. get one of those. fill with dry rock from johnny, and get some REAL cheap dry sand as well. then have remote displays. for each macro algae. all dosing will be done via the central "vat" kno3, iron. etc.

id also strongly suggest staying away from any type of "live rock during setup" and have STRONG quarantine protocols. you DO NOT want bryopsis anywhere in this system. it WILL take over. scorched earth policy if you see it anywhere.

edit:

also your in florida. so you will be competing against other ppl in the area who have access to mother nature. who provides it for next to free. something to keep in mind. shipping macros for profit in your region is... difficult considering the competition if you were on the west coast and doing this operation it makes more sense given the nature of shipping from florida to california. a lot if not most macros/grasses do not fare well in a priority box. leaving shipping in the range of 45 bucks for any east coast over night shipping to westcoast conus.

pm if you want more info. i was gonna start a westcoast alge farm. but its still on the hold pattern for now. not sure if the finances can justify it , not until seawater becomes free again in my area.

Hmmmm....I get what you're saying about bryopsis, but I don't see the absolute need for a central vat. I don't need my system to be huge, just something to pay for some of this hobby. As you well know, I sell macros out of my 20g right now, and have shipped priority all over the west coast with nearly no DOA's. I might be able to get dry rock for free, and LS will be cheap as well. That just leaves the need for a container for filtration. Could I just use a large rubbermaid trash can? I want to make it as cheap and effective as possible, looks mean nothing to me in this one.

That also makes me have to drill the tank, which I would like to avoid. I don;t know if I can afford another mag-drive or similar pump that is capable of pushing that much volume. I'll scope out CR, and let you know what I find. Hopefully I can work it out and spend the littlest amount possible.

I already have the tank, lighting, HoB filters, not sure if they would help at all though. Really just need to get filtration figured out.

Archived