Cultivated Reef

Do these Alk/Calcium levels seem right??

GobyMan

These are my levels/doses the past few days...do these swings seem right??

7/24: Alk 8.0 dKH/2.86 meq/L---Calcium 350. (dosed 2.5 ml b-ion)

7/25: (dosed 2.5 ml b-ionic)

7/26: (dosed 3.5 ml b-ionic)

7/27: Alk 7.4 dKH/2.63 meq/L---Calcium 370. (dosed 5.0 ml b-ion)

Changed approx 1 gallon of water w/ fresh made saltwater.

7/28: Alk 9.6 dKH/3.42 meq/L---Calcium 380. (dosed 3.0 ml b-ion)

I'm guessing the Alk went up b/c of the water change. Do I just have an extremely high load from my SPS? It seems the Alk dropped pretty fast before the w/c even though I was dosing with b-ionic.

BTW- I am using new Salifert test kits I just got.

Any help/advice/comments would be appreciated!!

Thanks

up the dosage untill you see a rise daily. Then when you hit your mark lower it to a maintenance level. sounds like your critters are eating it up.

Toy

Upp the dosages in 5 days to touble, its the best way to match saturation, then dose every other day at 10 mgp/l Its worked Great fer my tanks.

There's a good thumbrule at work here:

Stuff in your tank uses calcium ion and carbonate (which is essentially alkalinity in a saltwater tank) to make calcium carbonate things--corals, coralline, snails, crustaceons and stuff make shells, skeletons, all out of calcium carbonate. This process is by far the biggest factor in alk / calcium.

Because they're all making calcium carbonate, for every 0.5meq/l (1.4dKH) alk they use, they also use 10ppm calcium.

B-Ionic, kalkwasser, calcium reactors all add 0.5meq/l (1.4dKH) for every 10ppm calcium--it's the same ratio as it's consumed in. That's why they're called "balanced supplements." They'll keep your alk and calcium in line.

Notice also, that for a large change in alk, you will see a small change in calcium. Keep in mind that precision lab titrations are good to 10%--your test kits aren't nearly that good, so there's quite a lot of slop in the numbers we deal in.

Your numbers look fine by me! Every tank will have a different rate of consumption, but those ratios should hold up pretty good. FWIW, 25 ml B-Ionic in my 40 gallon tank gives me a 5-10ppm increase--you can scale that to your tank size if you will.

Ty

Thanks for the info everyone, and Ty, thanks for those calculations. Now, ESV says that you shouldn't go over the 1 ml per 4 gallon dose, I am going WAY over that, has anyone had trouble going over this recommended limit?

The page actually says (this may differ from what's on the bottle--I haven't checked):

dose may have to be significantly increased over our recommended starting dose [1ml/4 gallons]. Never add more than 1ml. per gallon of each component in a 24 hour period, and never allow pH to rise above 8.45.

So, you should be ok. I add 28ml/day to my 37 gallon--about 3x the recommended starting dose.

Ty

Archived