SaltCritters.com

micro algae in fuge

D McG

Is this normal? My HOT fuge has been up for about 2 weeks now and I am not seeing any results. The brown algae has moved to the fuge, its growing in there just as well as in the main tank. Anyone else have this problem?

How old is the tank?

If it's still being broken in then I would expect to see brown algae. Green will come in later.

Have you added any macroalgae to the fuge?

The tank has been up since january '03, and I didn't have any algae blooms until january of this year, and recently decided to try a refugium.

Yes, I have added macro to the fuge. It's growing, but not very fast. The guy at my lfs couldn't tell me what kind it is, and I have not looked it up yet. The brown algae is even growing on the macro!

• 2 weeks later...
DitchPlains

This is just an aside but, do you do regular water changes? What are your water parameters, nitrite, nitrate? Have you checked your silicates or phosphate levels. Brown Algae (diatoms) need silicates to grow there bony skeletons to adhere to glass, rock etc... There has to be a source in your tank for this silicate if your tank is over a year old and still getting this bloom. Chances are its your water. Diatoms alos need light, perhaps reduce your light schedule. Diatoms are the start of a new tank and eventually moves to hair, and worst of all red or green slime, but with your tank being over a year old I doubt thats it. Check your levels, do a big water change, clean the tank, and hope for the best. Diatoms need nitrates and silicates, so maybe switch your refuge's macro to Caulerpa, and possibly add a green plant like a Money tree or Shaving Brush as well this could help. By the way this is my humble opinion.:ermm:

The problem I am having is with nitrates, they were up to 30ppm at one time and are declining now, down to 15ppm. Nitrites have remained at 0 and Silicate and Phosphate levels are at or near 0. As far as everything else, I have been doing small water changes here and there, but can't say how often. Just did a big water change today.

The fuge seems to be doing the job, just needed to have a little patience. We'll see how it goes. Hope to have nitrates continue to decline.

Brown MICRO algae usually means low light, silicate, and unstable filteration. You may want to check above three factors.

I am talking about brown MICRO algae here. If brown algae you talking about is brown MACRO algae, then things are little differ.

You may have some sort of nitro-factory like crushed coral substrate, bio-ball, filteration with media or something easilly get dirty. If you have any of this, you must clean it periodically to make sure its not getting dirty. Check if there's anything rotten inside your tank.

It is obvious that you have high nitrate problem. Your fuge works but it may not be enough to take care of high nitrate level you have. So, I suggest you do WC and see if you can bring down nitrate level and keep it that way. If nitrate come back to higher level in a few days, you need to find what the source is. It could be one of above mentioned stuff or your tap water if you using it. (My tap water contains 15ppm of nitrate according to local water autority) If you can maintain low nitrate level by doing WC, do it regualry... like 20% per every week.

DitchPlains

Sounds like what i was saying as well. I err on the safe side and do another water change and then add some red macro algae to your Refuge to help with the Nitrate consumption. :rolleyes:

Archived