Cultivated Reef

Newbie w/ Q's on Beginner Corals, Lights

Tasiamay

I am about to purchase a Mini Bow 7 for my first nano reef. Before I start ... I do have a few questions that I was hoping all you experts out there could help me with. I did do a search but couldn't find the answers.

My system will have one 32 watt SmartLite retrofit kit for a light source, live sand and live rock.

1. What kind of corals (that are good for beginners) will thrive successfully under these light conditions?

2. I want to paint the back of the Mini Bow. What type of paint will adhere the best to glass?

3. I would like to have 1 or 2 fish in the tank. What type of fish are suitable for beginners and are reef safe? How many fish would be safe to put in?

Thanks to all who answer!

1. with the 32w retro, you should be able to keep any softies.(mushrooms, zoos, leathers, and the like) maybe even some lps like an open brain or a torch or frogspawn. no problem...

2. i personally don't know what kind of paint to use, but i hear people here using krylon spray paint.(not sure what kind) but you would have to be extra careful to seal off the rest of the tank to make sure that none of that stuff gets on the inside. i just put a blue background on the back of my tank that i got from petsmart. i like it, but the back wall's getting covered in coralline anyways, so eventually it won't even matter what background i have cause you won't be able to see it soon.

3. the 7m/b is kinda small for two fish, but it depends on which fish you prefer. i would recommend a percula clownfish, and if you wanted another, you could go with maybe a small clown goby. they don't get bigger than 2". you could also go with a combo of any 2 of the smaller gobies.

hope this helps. good luck... j.

I would stick with soft corals, zoos. Hard corals of any variety are sensitive to water quality changes and your 7 gallon just doesn't have the water volume (IMO) to be a truly stable environment.

Archived