inTank Media Baskets

KrackerG's mod. lighting for a 15g H?

Mermaid

I'm setting up my first reef tank and will be doing KrackerG's 70w MH upgrade to my CSL 20" 2x40w. Originally I was going to use a 10g that I have lying around but now I'm wondering if I should be using a 15g H for the extra volume of water. I also thought that since I'm using an AC500 for a fuge the extra height might prevent a sand storm.

Will it still be enough light to keep the more light demanding SPS corals or a clam? (won't be adding those until much later... after I've had a little more experience... but it doesn't hurt to be prepared). Any thoughts?

I am actually doing something similar as far as total output. I have 2x36w pc, and a 70w mh (ushio).

The depth of the 15tall tank will DEFINITELY need the addition of the metal halide bulb to penetrate. I'm building mine for an 18tall (just a tad taller), and am expecting that the bottom of the tank will be very low light (shrooms and zoos only).

If you do end up keeping "light loving" corals, keep them up high in your tank, and you should be set.

Good Luck!!

-q

Not to put too fine a point on things, but the easiest way to make a system "more forgiving" is to add water volume. The more water there is to dilute the bad stuff, the easier it is to keep things alive. If you have an overflow, or have drilled and bulkheaded your tank, you can just add a large volume reservoir, and you're in good shape. The only downside is that your waterchange volume will go up substantially.

hth, good luck

-q

Archived