Cultivated Reef

Fresh Cut SPS Frag Light Acclimation

skp

Hi,

I got a fresh cut frag of an unknown acro. The colony it was cut from had a green base and green body with purple coralites and blue polyps. It was pretty low in a tank lit by t5s (just recently found out that the tank has a 400 watt mogul metal halide to supplement). The colony was not directly under the mh but off to the side. I glued the frag to a piece of rock rubble and placed it about 13 inches below my 150 watt mh hqi. The frag hasnt lost any color, in fact it seems to have gained color but that might just be due to the color spectrum of my light (14000K Phoenix). The polyps are out and it seems to be doing fine (I'm not sure what the normal polyp extension should be since I don't know what kind of acro it is) but it has not started to encrust over the glue yet. It has been about 7 days. Should I wait for it to encrust over the glue before moving it up?

Thanks

disaster999

the fact that it survived in your tank for a week already without loosing color is prove that it will be fine in your tank. move it up somewhat so it can slowly acclimate to the higher light intensity.

also if it was in a tank with a 400mh, even tho its not directly under it, it should still be receiving a lot of light. it should be fine at the top of your tank with 150mh

• 4 weeks later...

Your coral is fine. Wait for awhile for it to start encrusting your plug. 7 days is very short in terms of Acropora spp.

Archived