Cultivated Reef

Rookie Setup

aplysia

Hi All,

Me new to this hobby. Presently setting up a 4'(length)x2'(width)x 2.5'(height) reef tank.

Lighting - weipo LS-100 2x 20k MHL 1x20k Blue

Slump-

1st compartment the tickle sytem onto the bio form and wool than onto a sand bed down a coral chip

2nd compartment

sand bed with (seaweed and a light- yet to put in)

3rd compartment

a UV light pump water into a TT chiller 0.5hp than into the Uv light and back into the 3rd compartment a Ehiem 2620 pump to pump back into the tank and a Ralwal skimmer.

Now just got 30kg of live rock and 20kg staghorn live rock

Is this sound ok? Please advice and comment

You don't need the "bio form" and "wool". It'll just be a nitrate factory for your system. They are really no benefit to a reef tank. I'm not a hugs fan of UV's on reefs either since they kill a lot of waterborn reef friendly critters. ..

Cameron

Hi Physh1

Do u mean i should remove the bia form and wool and let the water go directly on the sandbed?

For the UV is it that it is i should remove it ? because i can still return the product ....

Sorry for my question as I'm new and I just follow blindly the book reef aquarium by John H Tullock.

For the skimmer i using Ralwal is it a good brand compare to berlin classic?

John H Tullock's books are nice.

I am with physh1.

And do you think you really need UV at normal conditon?

As for your setup...

Then it is pretty big tank. I think you need good skimmer with powerful pump. I can not commend on your skimer since I am not familiar with Ralwal skimmer.

weipo LS-100 2x 20k MHL 1x20k Blue...

I guess it is Weipro. How much Watt is that?

Do they make MH too? Never knew that.

I third the uv call. On a closed system you want to allow the copepods etc to multiply. If they go through the UV it will likely either kill em or sterilize em. Most of the waterborn critters are beneficial as food organisms. Take the UV back and invest the cash into lights, an R/O unit, or livestock.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice, have now off the UV and have put some zoos and a torch coral for a start..hee.. hope all things well...

As for my weipo MHL is 250w x 3

I have another question to ask,

I tested my tank and my PO3 is very high why is it so high as my tank is so new ?

How do i get rid this PO3 in my tank?

Temp - 26

ph - 8.3

NH4 - 0.25ppm

NO3 - 2.5ppm

PO4 - 1.0ppm

Please advice

If you used tap water to mix your salt with then your phosphates probably came from the tap water. Use RO or distilled wter instead. To get rid of the phosphates currently in your tank you could use one of the many phosphate removal products available. I haven't used them myself, but I'm sure some of the other people can add in some brand names to help you along.

The other option is to switch to RO water and as you do your routine water canges you will slowly bring the levels down.

I have just added some sea fan and a crown. But the crown donm't seem to be well as it refuse to eat. whats wrong ?

please advice me :( thanks

Archived