SoCal's 60g Cube (Dismantled)

Arkayology

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Arkayology
I'm wishing you the best of luck!

Thanks Med. Things are going well down here on the excavation project. I guess in my preparations to leave I forgot to post some pics. Doh!

The fiancé has informed me that for unknown reasons I have lost a colony of green/purple stylo. All my other colonies are doing fine. Also, my McCosker's Flasher Wrasse decided to jump. RIP. I don't think I will be buying any more flasher wrasse in the future. I have had too many problems with them. I don't really want to make a top of the tank, but I may have to.

I will be on sporadically for the next month or so until I get back stateside. Have a good summer everyone!

Arkayology
have her take pics! best of luck on your dig!

Thanks Med! We have been finding a lot of cool stuff. I will have some pics later on with the results of my excavations.

In tank news, the fiancé emailed me a pic of my dead perc clown. She found it yesterday morning dead along with the skimmer freaking out and spewing some water out of the top and onto the floor :( I don't think there is any water damage to the stand from what she tells me. I am not sure what happened, but I would think the skimmer was freaking out due to the dead clown. Apparently all my colonies are ok though. No RTN or anything which is good. The clown dying is weird because it was too the best of my knowledge only 4 years old max. Odd stuff.

That's a bummer. I had a female clown die that was around a year old. no sign of ailments and the male (now female) was just fine. Stuff happens. Maybe I should check in on your lady while you're away ;-) j/k lol

Arkayology
That's a bummer. I had a female clown die that was around a year old. no sign of ailments and the male (now female) was just fine. Stuff happens. Maybe I should check in on your lady while you're away ;-) j/k lol

Hah, you can check on the tank... but stay away from the lady lol. I guess you are the only one still following my hibernating thread Med. At least someone is around!

Hah, you can check on the tank... but stay away from the lady lol. I guess you are the only one still following my hibernating thread Med. At least someone is around!

lol. Hopefully your tank is amazing when you get back. Maybe your lady should take some pics while you're away for our enjoyment and your sanity.

So, sad news everyone. My stand has shown signs of serious water damage. I am not going to let the tank sit like that for a month before I get home, so I am having the fiancé call the LFS to have them come drain the tank and take the livestock. I know, I will lose colonies I have had for 3 years, but I don't want something to happen while Im not gone. I will get some store credit I hope and be able to start over.

Oh man! Crap always seems to happen when you're gone. Why is that?

Maybe time to upgrade when you get home?

That was so nice to Med to offer to watch your gal, I mean tank while you are away! :)

Sorry about the bad news. Take your time to decide whether you want to come back. Good luck.

Oh man! Crap always seems to happen when you're gone. Why is that?

Maybe time to upgrade when you get home?

That was so nice to Med to offer to watch your gal, I mean tank while you are away! :)

Thanks guys. I am actually planning a downgrade when I get back. I think a Mr. Aqua 30g (24x24x12) is a much more practical tank for my living situation in an apartment and globetrotting one a year. I will keep y'all updated on what is going on.

Are you willing to send anything my way? Ill pay shipping if your just going to give it to the LFS!

I was going to have my fiancé have the LFS come over to take the tank down and get store credit for my colonies. Fortunately, she found someone at her work that keeps an SPS tank and is on our local forums! I didn't know he worked with my lady. He will help her drain the tank so we will not have any problems with it falling over and will also take care of my SPS colonies and fish until I get back. I am pretty happy that I don't have to lose 3+ years of work all together as I have had some of these colonies for awhile. I just hope they take the move to his tank well. He is pretty knowledgeable.

After thinking about it, I have not been 100% happy with my 60 cube. It is a nice tank, but the drain is loud and it is just too big for someone who lives in an apartment and travels a lot. I will be downsizing to something in the 30gal range once I get back in August. I am thinking about a Mr. Aqua tank, but I am open to suggestions?

Deleted User 4

Dude, I think that's smart that you're going to do so. I plan to get a small house in the future as well which is why I have low expectations on my dream tank....an elos mini which is only 20g ahah. Looking forward to your next build, maybe an ada tank instead of mr.aqua? I just joined socalireefs ahaha and saw your thread there as well.

Dude, I think that's smart that you're going to do so. I plan to get a small house in the future as well which is why I have low expectations on my dream tank....an elos mini which is only 20g ahah. Looking forward to your next build, maybe an ada tank instead of mr.aqua? I just joined socalireefs ahaha and saw your thread there as well.

Thanks. One day I will set up my 4x2x2 ft reef and get some tangs in there but for now I think I should stick to the smaller tanks. I think I want to get a shallow 24x24x12inch tank. That way I get the footprint I like with 30 less gallons to worry about.. though maybe I will go for a 40 breeder? Not sure. What I do know is that I will be building the stand for my next tank out of twice as many 2x4s than I would ever need... I am sick of MDF stands that flake out when a little water gets on them.

Deleted User 4

It's fine, you're starting a new tank soon and will be twice, the cleaner and twice, the easier to maintain it.

Since all I have to do when I am out in the field excavating is dig and think about my tank, I have decided on the new setup. It will still be SPS focused and will include all my fish and colonies that survived the move from my 60 cube to my friend's tank to hold until I get back from my research.

40br with 700gph g********s overflow and 3/4in return

standard 29g for sump

DIY stand (2x4s so I don't have any more problems)

caribsea seaflor special grade sand (didn't like the marcorocks large grain sand at all)

40lbs marcorocks

ecotech radion for lighting (I think one will be enough)

x2 mp10wes

200w heater

mag 7 return

x2 BRS Doser (1.1 mL/min) for use with b-ionic 2-part

JNS biopellet reactor with NP Biopellets

Super Reef Octopus 1000int skimmer

TLF 150 reactor powered by MJ600 with Carbon

JBJ ATO (replacing the Tom's aqua lifter as it leaks water through the line)

Most of this is from my 60, which makes this affordable and very much doable. I will probably order what I need while I am down in Peru so it is waiting for me when I get back. B)

sounds like a good plan. all sps 40b would be sick

Ya, I am thinking it will work out better with a slightly smaller tank. I will have the chance to do a couple of things better that I did not think about last time.

nice, man. Are you sure you want to stick with the Radion?

Yup. I have had good results with it so far. Great colors and growth. I do not plan on having wall to wall rocks, so I think it will be ok as long as I am smart about placement and have my rock work towards the inner 24 inches. I am interested in the new lenses that ecotech is coming out with. If they seem like they actually are worth it and spread more light around, I may invest in them.

Dude, that sucks.

Im running a single radion over a 40b, as long as you leave some room on the edges, I dont see it being a problem. Also I almost never get algae on the side panels of the tank. Infact that new setup is pretty similar to my current tank.

Best of luck.

Dude, that sucks.

Im running a single radion over a 40b, as long as you leave some room on the edges, I dont see it being a problem. Also I almost never get algae on the side panels of the tank. Infact that new setup is pretty similar to my current tank.

Best of luck.

Thanks. I think it should be enough. The new lenses may be needed though as the tank starts to fill out. I like your tank btw, nice rock work and coral choices.

Even though I have the 40 breeder sitting at home waiting for me, I can't stop thinking how incredibly awesome a custom tank would be. I am thinking 24x24x15 rimless...

Archived