inTank Media Baskets

Maroon Clown in 12gal?

slick2909

My buddy wants to sell me one of his maroon clowns. Does anybody know if it is possible to put him in a 12 gal Eclipse without any problems?

i wouldn't do it... maroons can grow to monstrous proportions.. they can reach between 5-6 inches. i too have the eclipse12, and i believe they are about 20 inches long. when full grown, the maroon would be almost 1/3 the length of the tank. not good at all, unless this maroon that you speak of is still a baby, and you know that you are gonna have a larger tank of at least 30 gallons to move him into once he outgrows the 12.

then it should be ok to temporarily house him in a 12. but i wouldn't let him get much more than 3 inches before moving him out. good luck.... j.

IME, i have had numerous maroons. most Captive Bred Clowns even WC their growth slows down tremendously once inside an aquarium. my buddy has had Clarkii clown for 6yrs, had it since it was 4months old, once it grew to about an inch and a half it kinda just stopped. maybe has grown 1/4in since. WC Maroon clowns i wouldnt reccommend(doesnt mean it cant be done) but i see no reason as long as the maroon is CB and no larger then 2.5inches, from my personal experiance i see no problem w/ it. But hey it can be debated endlessly.

Archived