Top Shelf Aquatics

New Member posting tank specs

pyrrhus

Just found this site and let me say it is great! My 10g nano has been set up for about 3 months now, and is filling up at a rapid pace. Filtration consists of an aquaclear 300 at full bore w/sponge and carbon cartridges which should turn the water over 30x per hour. small Top Fin 25w heater keeps tank fairly stable at 81-82 degrees. lighting consists of a 15w 50/50 and a coralife mini-might dual 9w for a total of 33w over the tank. i have about 15 pounds of sand and 20 pounds of live rock in system. water parameters stay fairly stable at pH:8.2 ammonia:0 nitrite:0 and nitrate:10 Ca:700 due to the use of sea-lab no. 28 blocks which i highly discourage. livestock includes 1 peppermint shrimp (L. rathbunae) 1 alpheid shrimp (A. randalli?) 1 huge fire shrimp (L. debelius) 3 nassarius snails, 2 large turbo snails, 1 bumblebee snail, about 10 hermits, 2 firefish, 1 large pearly jawfish, 1 small tridacna maxima about 1.5 inches in shell size, 2 small sarcophyton corals, 1 sinularia?, 1 large colony of button polyps (protopalythoa), a small colony of zoanthids (4 polyps), small patch of briareum (Green), larger patch of briareum (blonde), a discosoma rock (mushrooms), and a pencil urchin in the filter until i can be convinced it wont bulldoze everything in my tank. despite all the cleaners i cant get rid of the filamentous algae on one of my rocks. i once tried to put a 96w power- quad on the tank but all the corals freaked out and would not extend polyps (except Briareum) even with a reduced photoperiod, although i would love to use it on my tank it just didnt seem to work. i feed my tank several times a day flake and frozen foods. I am thinking of moving my sixline wrasse (pseudocheilinus hexataenia) and my blue neon goby back into the tank even though the wrasse once nearly killed my peppermint shrimp and has been in exile since. thats all i can think of at the moment, will post pics as soon as i can...Pyrrhus

movingshadow

with proper acclimation, I pretty much guarantee that you'll be able to use the 96W in the future... as far as the Aquacler goes, do yourself a favor and yank the filter media (maybe keep carbon on hand in case of emergency). turn the AC300 into a fuge (do a search here on the Aquaclear fuges, you'll find LOTS of stuff) you'll be happy you did...

post some pics when you get around to it!

oops i forgot about the arrow crab and i have recently added an acropora colony with several comensal? crabs. anyone have any suggestions for the best food for my corals, Marine Snow, Dt's? im currently using Phytoplan but havent noticed much diference in the health or color of my corals. Is the tank over stocked with critters and fish? I dont like changing water often and i dont believe in Protein skimming because it removes trace elements well before what one wants it to remove. also moving shadow, have you had an opportunity to read the new mag Coral here in the states and if so does it compare to Korrale in Germany? any and all opinions and info are appreciated.

Undertheradar

arrow crabs are reef friendly. They are known to eat bristleworms...can be a good thing...can be a bad thing depending on the worms you have...

havent noticed any worms except the reef safe eurodyce worms in sprungs invert book, once in a while i think he attacks my dusters but i dont really mind that too much.

ReeferMonkey

Arrow crabs don't eat polyps as well? Hrm. I saw them a few months back and thought they were neat looking, but I thought my research indicated that they were not great in a mixed reef. Hrm. Must ... read ... more !

I can't see your pics cause I dont have a membership to that site and don't feel like signing up for another reef forum.

I have a 5g right now upgrading to a ten shortly and I have a 96w pc overtop. the zoos, shrooms, gorgornian (sp?), and anemone love it. keep trying it as in the end it will benefit the growth rate in your tank.

good luck.

Originally posted by pyrrhus

Ca:700 due to the use of sea-lab no. 28 blocks which i highly discourage.

I discourage the use of those blocks, but it is due to their inability to keep a constant high level of CA, sounds like you may have used 5Ml's of water instead of 3 ml's on the test? Just a guess... Besides, with CA at 700, your ALk would probably be too out of whack for a consistent PH.

i use salifert test for CA, at the time of the post i didnt have an alk test but the ph stayed fairly consistent at 8.4. i did use the full strength test to get the best reading possible,IMO best not to cheap out on testing.

i did use the full strength test to get the best reading possible,

What I meant was, did you only use 3 ML of water, cuz many tests require 5 ML, and I have caught myself about to add 5ML's to the tube. CA of 700 sounds outrageous, Kalkwasser isn't even that saturated. I would test again, and if the results are the same, buy a new test kit :D

ive also checked newly mixed water and gotten areading of about 450 with the same test kit so im sure the CA level is right and the test kit is accurate those blocks are just IME terrible.

bird, since you are picking apart everything that i post i did use the full 5ml of water called for in the kit. and at the time of the post the ph was 8.2 not 8.4 as i just erroneously posted. my current readings on my tank as of yesterday were:ph 8.4 ALK: 13 DKH NH4:0 NO2:0 NO3:0 PO4: .1 and i overdosed with CA so it is now at 680 ppm on the 27th the CA was down to 470ppm and i made a bad judgement on how much my 2 clams would use up and overdosed with warner marine CA i will be doing a WC to correct this. and bird id appreciate you not following up on every post i make i dont know what prompted you to begin doing so but its starting to get annoying, find something else to do with your time.

i did use the full 5ml of water called for in the kit.

Not nagging pyrrhus, Just trying to help. I never said I was perfect. P.S. Salifert's test uses only 3 or 4 ML of water, not 5. I was merely trying to help.

If it still says 5ML, you may have an old kit, and that may be your source for error. Reagents can go bad quickly. If you have the means, some suggest to purchase your own chemicals and mix reagents yourself, But I am not that hardcore, I dunno bout you :D also, their new kit only reads up to 500 PPM CA, I'd stop by the LFS, and pick up a new kit.

bird, you are right and i am an argumentative jackass. it is 3ml every other test kit i have is 5ml and ive been goofing up my CA readings i just took a CA reading of 420 ppm thanks for the help and forgive my stupidity, your the man bird sorry for being a dick...pyrrhus

took the newly mixed water reading and the initial reading of 700ppm when i first got the test and was following directions to a tee though so i think those were right but not my more recent tests.

Of all the things people have commented on no one mentioned anything about your lil maxima in there at 3 months (only 33 watts when you got it, I know you have more now) or that you wanted to have 5 fish in your tank up from 3 which some people might say is too much. I dont want to be rude, but want to know how has eveything worked out...

didnt add the other fish into my tank and actually got rid of the jawfish (never ate in my tank)everything is doing great though thanks for asking tha maxima has never shown any signs of ailing and has nicer extension than the pic i currently have posted of it in another thread. i have added several new corals to the tank (acro, sarco, zoos) the only thing that bothers me about the tank is the amount of bubbles in the water since converting the ac300 to a mud fuge

close up of my derasa, the one thing that has me worried is that i may not have enough nutrients in my water for my clams as No3:0 and po4: .1ppm i havent fed the fish as much lately as the pod population has recovered and they get plenty to eat from that

all the pics are before i turned the ac300 into a fuge and removed most of the caulerpa from the tank i do have to scrape the glass at least twice a week now, with the 96w up and running and have added a backing to the tank to reducelight spilling over from the fuge at night. also since then have ditched the turbos and gotten a small army of astreas

Archived