Cultivated Reef

First reefcleaners order! What should I expect!?

JASON424

Ordered yesterday. Got the 25 gal package. Seems to good (cheap) to be true. I've been reading good things here on NR so I decided to give them a try. When I get the package do I just dump the lil guys in? How long till everything settles in?

LarryMoeCurly

There should be acclimation instructions in the "your order has shipped" email. Just float the bags for 15 minutes and then take the snails out and dump them in. I just recieved the 20g long quick crew. Expect extras! especially the dwarf ceriths (I think thats what they are).

As far as everything getting settled, most of them will be up and moving within a few minutes, but some may take up to a few days to come out of their dormant state. If there are several that have not moved after several days, I guess you should take them out.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do with the dead/empty ones. I'm hoping someone else will chime in here and tell both of us what to do about the ones that didn't make it. Take them out, or leave them as food for the survivors?

Thanks. This is the first time ive ordered livestock

online so guess I'm just being a nervous lil beeahhch! Lol.

LarryMoeCurly

Yeah, there is nothing to be nervous about. As I said, my order arrived yesterday and was very well packed, no leakage. It seems like one of the snail species didn't make it (not sure of the name), there was only a few of them though. The bag they were in smelled like death when I opened it, but I dumped in the snails anyway. I think they became food for the hundreds of dwarf ceriths last night. :D

Especially if you're ordering dwarf ceriths, after you put them in the tank kinda pile them in a corner, then after a few days all the ones left in the corner you know are dead/empty

LarryMoeCurly

Should they then be removed for fear that they will decay and foul things up, or is it fine to leave them?

I currently have a pile of maybe twenty that haven't moved yet.

(sorry to hijack thread)

LarryMoeCurly

Here's the dwarfs rummaging in the deathbed (the larger shells are the dead ones I mentioned earlier). I also took a pic of the remaining pile of dwarfs that haven't moved yet, but it wouldn't uplaod.

1010075n.jpg

Received my snails today(Friday) that I ordered Tuesday afternoon. I only ordered 2-3 of each type for my 4 gallon pico tank but received a million of the small 15cent guys lol. ok, not million but probably close to 30 of those little guy! Most are all roaming my tank right now, maybe 4 or 5 haven't moved.

Ordered a ball of chaeto and got 2. Stuck them in the fuge but got millions of small dead pieces floating all over the place. They've all settled now, hope someone eat them.

Has anyone ordered any other inverts? Crabs? Urchins or shrimp? If so, how

were they apon arrival. :huh:

Has anyone ordered any other inverts? Crabs? Urchins or shrimp? If so, how

were they apon arrival. :huh:

Urchins, shrimp, and crabs are all overnight shipping. There shouldn't be much problem.

If you chose a pack with express (hermit crab quick crews) you get " free" express, and can add any other express items. If you want the other inverts it seems that would be the most economical way to go. Otherwise express outside of Florida is $28

Archived