inTank Media Baskets

seaclon protein skimmer100 , Is this a good skimmer ??

tarantulaman

tarantulaman

I know nothing about skimmers i can get this one for sale 60$ at local petstore . Will this fit my via aqua 418 model tank ?

If this is not a good skimmer can you suggest one that will work well on my tank

I have one, because it was what would fit into my budget at the time. They can be MODIFIED to be a better skimmer than stock but I would personally recommend going ahead and getting a better HOT skimmer like an AquaC Remora or such. I have to make constant adjustments to the airflow valve if I even put my HAND in the water, much less do a water change or top off.

BTW, what gallon size is your tank? You should, as a rule of thumb, get a skimmer that is rated to at least TWICE what your tank capacity is. Bear in mind, however, that with skimmers you (usually) get what you pay for. I think that I will end up having to get an extra skimmer.

I second the AquaC. It's a good skimmer, and lots of folks have complained about SeaClones for reasons cited by Reefmaniac above. Do a SeaClone search and see for yourself.

Seaclone 100 isn't bad...it may not be the best nor cost the most but its not a bad skimmer either. You'll fnd many who swear by the ones they have and swear at others that they have never owned...not unusual to aquariums just normal human patterns of behaviour. For the cost its not bad as far as skimmers go...I've learned how to adjust it and its not that difficult just make sure you are using RO/DI water and not the conditioned tap water with the slime agent or you'll wind up losing about a gallon of water with all the crazy action the skimmer does - btw it happens not only to the Seaclone but to all skimmers if using conditioned tap water. There are a few who have modified the Seaclone to make it more efficient but I've found it unnecessary thus far. You can also invest in the Back-Pak2 which is great or even go with a hang-on refugium like the Eco-System 40 and have the best setup without the need for a skimmer. All kinds of choices but I can say I use the Seaclone and have zero problems. If you get one I'ld be glad to answer any questions you have.

Jim

AReeferIsExpensive

i have one...modified it and it works good~ gets the job done.

it skimmes........and thats what its supposed to do. if you are good in $$$$ go for one of the top brands with a better rep just b/c if you upgrade and stuff you wont have to upgrade the skimmer

Archived