Cultivated Reef

new setup,skimmer question

beckham

Hi! I'm new to reef keaping,but I've read a lot of articles and at this point I'm deciding what equipment to buy.Here's what I'm planning to get and I also have several questions on my setup.

20 gallon long(30x12x12)

25 fiji cured liverock

A skimmer - A prizm,a remora or a bak pak?Will the bak pak fit my tank?

Aqua Clear 150 power filter

2x65W Coralife PC

Ebo Jagger 75W heater

Maxi Jet powerheads(2 of them)

no sump

Please comment!Thanx

:)

Personally, I would say spend the money on a better skimmer. I like Red Sea's stuff but the Prizms aren't all that hot. If you are going to do one of theirs, go with the Berlin HOT. Otherwise, do the Remora.

I've heared a lot of good stuff about Remora.But still why is Remora better than a CPR?CPR as I read also has a good reputation.The difference in price between this 2 skimmers is about $50 dollars.So why pay more?Both skimmers also have the same hight 17.5'',which is a problem #1 for me at this point is that my tank is only 12'' high and I would really want to keep a 20 long.Will these skimmers fit?Any ways to fit it?

All replies would be very helpful!:)

CPR puts "bio-bale" in the hang on. This crap will become a nitrate factory...granted you could take it out, but also the Remora is just a better skimmer...more efficient.

That's what the CPR 2R for!It's reef editionn.Costs just the same.You can check it out on marinedepot.com or premiumaquatics.com.So will it fit?

Any HOT filter will fit on that tank...you may just have to let the skimmer really hang...as in, not having any stand/table underneath it. Keep the tank on the edge of the stand and, VOILA!

But I saw a Remora comercial saying that the minimum hight of tanks needed is 12.75 inches.Remora is 17.5 inches long so is the CPR.My tank is 12 inches high.U think this doesn't play any role?

That is so the "legs" on the bottom of the Remora can balance against the tank and keep the skimmer level, instead of on an angle. You could probably come up with a solution to that simple little problem ;)

I've decided that I'll go with the bak pak.But now I still have one question. The bak pak is powered by the rio600.I've heard a lot of negotive things about the rio powerheads,so can I replace it with some other powerhead(Maxijet)?

Thanx for replies.

I run a CPR skimmer on my tank and it works great. I run mine 24/7. It took a couple of days for the skimmer to really start working. The first couple days it didnt really collect any skimate. Once it started to collect stuff, I had to empty the cup a couple times during that first day. It has been running now for about 4 months and I have to empty the collectin cup about once a week (2/3 the way full). I hope you are happy with which ever decision you make.

Archived