Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Moving a Nano

squirrelmaster

squirrelmaster

Hi,

I've been reading this wonderful forum and a few others for the past few months, and have pretty much committed to getting a 15G nano set up around September. Obviously this allows plenty of time for research, saving money, etc.

I am waiting to avoid having to move my tank in its initial stages. Setting the tank up in September (college dorm), it will be able to stay put for ~9 months until I have to move it home over the summer. Most likely, it will subsequently move back to school the NEXT school year...

Now I live about an hour from my university, and was just looking for anyone with moving experience. I figure (2 more years of school left crossing fingers) I will have to move the tank about 4 times total. Keeping in mind I will probably have 1 or 2 fish and several corals (PC lighting nothing too fancy), is moving going to be a huge pain? All I've read really is to use styrofoam coolers etc, but it seems like it would be a lot of trouble. Can anyone with experience with his help me out? Thanks a bunch!

Moving a tank is always a pain, but it can be done. You’ll want to keep everything simple and easy to break down. The less you have, the easier it will be. You can buy inexpensive plastic containers with lids for the moves. Also, I’d keep your sand bed extra shallow (less than an inch); moving a sand bed can cause spikes and the deeper the bed, the less you should disturb it.

You’ll leave the live sand in the bottom of your tank with just enough water to cover it. The rest gets separated into separate containers (fish, LR, and multiple containers for your corals). Save as much water as you can, but you’ll probably want to make some extra water so it has had time to mix properly.

Archived