SaltCritters.com

What filter media to use

tarantulaman

tarantulaman

I have a fluval 204 what media should i use ? I also have a aquaclear mini should i use this as a fuge or just load it with reef carbon ? I will be getting some more live rock and a protein skimmer soon .

Why not let the LR and the skimmer do all of the work? You really don't need a fluval cannister filter or an HO filter for a berlin style reef tank. The LR and LS will do all of the filtering work for you. Most external mechanical/chemical filtration isn't necessary in these setups.

Use reef carbon carefully as it can pull out some trace elements from the water. It's o.k. to use it one or two days a week and remove it. Purigen would be a better choice for everyday use, but even that isn't necessary.

Just get good quality LR and a good protein skimmer and let them do the work.

Different people have different opinions on using filters and media with reef tanks. I use HOB's with either carbon or chemipure on all of my SW tanks. Others have reported great success with just powerheads and live rock/sand. Of the basic media types available chemipure and black diamond have an excellent reputaion. Rinse well before placing in the filter.

I have been doing this for over 10 years with every fad for filtration that has come out. I personally recommend using nothing but LR, LS and skimming. If you want to use carbon to polish, then use it only periodically: Filter media traps detritus which will end up causing you headaches with nitrates.

Archived