Innovative Marine Aquariums

newbies 10g at 1.5 months

ynotynot123

ynotynot123

sorry guys it's late and i just lost everything i typed in before, so i'll have to give you some details later...but it's my 10g in my dorm room with the 10g "package" from tbs.

LITTLEFISHEE

That's nice looking live rock, can you get some close-ups? What substrate is that, it looks like the indo-pacific arag-alive, but I could be wrong.

ynotynot123

Thanks for the compliments. I'll try to get some close ups of the lr sometime in the near future, but finals are coming up so i don't have a whole lot of time right now. The substrate is 10 lbs of live sand from tampa bay saltwater. It has tons of little starfish and worms and other critters in it. It came with their "package." I really like the tbs live rock and i'd recommend it to anyone...my first shipment cycled in a week and a half, the second shipment cycled in a week and my ammonia never got above .25, nitrates were a bit high at 5 but it was a pretty short, mild cycle. They ship the rock on water so there's little die-off. I've got a couple more tank pics right now that i'll put up tonight, but i'll hafta take some close-ups later.

IllusionaryDreams

Looks good. I do believe you're off to a great start.

Just Curious, are your arches secure? Would hate to see one of those big rocks fall with some critter or coral under it.

hey man looks like a good start..what dorms are you in? i go to cal poly too. i dont know what lights you have but i know a guy in the area that sells frags and stuff out of his frag tank

ynotynot123

Hey SLOReefer I live in Fremont Hall this year, next year i got into the Cerro Vista apartments, that'll be nice cuz i'll have more room for my tank. As far as lights go, i've only got a 28w 50/50 coralife fixture. I've got plans to upgrade as soon as i get my tax return back...I'm thinking maybe the 96w powerquad, otherwise i might try to get some metal halides...i gotta do some more research. I'd be interested in getting some frags from that guy. Sounds like a good deal. I hear there's a guy in Pismo that own the surf shop "Solutions" on Pomeroy st. that sells frags too. Anyway I just spent way too much on a some gsp and shrooms at aquatic adventures.

Blinkgyrl, thanks for the complements. I don't really have any idea as far as critters go. Right now i've got a bunch of blue-leg hermits, some assorted snails and 2 peppermint shrimp. I also got a flower anemone that came with my lr, i'll probably get rid of that if it ever moves to an area where i can get to it without having to take out all my live rock. I think as far as fish go, i'd like to get a clown and maybe a watchman goby. If anyone has some recommendations it'd be appreciated.

ynotynot123

I know the arches look kinda tipsy, but they're very secure. I'd been poking around my tank for the past few days trying to kill a gorilla crab that came as a hitchiker on my live rock. I think if anything were going to knock down those arches i would have with my clumsy hands, nothing moved or even wiggled so i think everything is good. I really had to plan this out to get them to be secure...took me a good 3 or four hours...i just remember being up til 4 a.m.

ya that is the guy im talking about...he has a nice tank at the shop and said he has a bigger tank 225 i think at home with a frag tank as well....he does alot of sps im not sure what else he has, i havent been to his house only talked to him, i know he has xenia and stuff like that though. if you want to go out there sometime let me know ill call him up, ive talked to him a few times...

ynotynot123

sweet thanks a lot i appreciate it, there's also a guy on reefcentral that lives in oceano and heowns some sort of a business that allows him full warehouse access. He said you can order just about anything through him. Also, i don't know if you visit reefcentral at all but they're trying to start a reef club around here. They've met the past two months at the quarterdeck in AG. Might be worth checking out. I haven't been to one yet, but it sounds like they get some pretty good frag swaps going.

i go to rc but havent seen any threads baout people meeting around here. maybe we could check that out sometime. my tank right now is mostly frags as it is but would be nice to go pick up some stuff from different locations.

t1 is you apply as liberal studies you can get in easy...or ag business...i got in under civil engineering with a 3.8 gpa and not too much extra curricular activities othere than being ski club president in high school.

ynotynot123

i got into bioresource and ag engineering with a 4.0 and a bunch of extra-curriculars....I don't know how hard it is to get in really, but i do know that once you get in you can't change your major very easily, i've been trying since after i received my acceptance letter to change my major to general engineering with a concentration in biomedical. I still probably won't be able to change it until spring of next year. I hear that it's easier to get into the ag department, because aggies don't have to be Cal State certified.

ynotynot123

here's another full tank shot, it's a little more of a close up, i'm apologize for the picture quality, i had really cut them so i could post them on here.

ynotynot123

looks like they're planning on meeting on sunday the 28th of this month at 2:00 at the Quarterdeck in AG. I think i remember seeing that restaurant just off 101 on the Halcyon exit.

hmm i might be able to make that meeting..how about you? my tank is so damn small though that i dont really have anythign to trade....anyway it might be cool to go out there and check it out

ynotynot123

Thanks for the advice, just a little late, unfortunately. The anemones came as a bonus with my live rock. There's also a flower pot anemone. I wasn't expecting these to come with the live rock and hadn't gotten a chance to buy the sponge covers for the powerhead or filter intake. The condy got sucked into my filter intake the other night. I had heard of this happening and was planning on getting those covers, but getting the time to run to the store when it's open is a little tough, as i have class and hafta work everyday. I've already moved the powerhead up and will be getting those intake covers this week for sure. I feel really bad about the condy, though...won't make that mistake again.

Archived