Top Shelf Aquatics

Could my LR still be alive ???

tarantulaman

tarantulaman

A friend of mine recently gave me his nano tank for free because he lost interest . The tank is a via aqua 12 with 2x18 watt pc , 7lbs lr and live sand

About 1 month ago he got lazy and stupid and just shut everything off . He quit topping off water and turned off the hob filters and the heater

I did a salinity test on the water just to see what it was and it was off the chart . I still took the tank and kept the live rock and sand i can see some worms crawling in the sand and a few other critters . On the rock i do not see much growth except for a few feather dusters and some leaf looking growths , do you think the rock is still alive or should i pitch it ?

Thanks for any help given

If you are seeing worms and other miscellaneous critters than I would say that it is still alive. I would use it. Over the next few weeks and even year you will likely see all kinds of things start to sprout. You would be amazed at the number of critters that have stayed dormant while conditions were unfavorable.

It's a shame that your friend lost interest. I hope he didn't just shut it down like that with corals, fish or other animals inside.

Archived