SaltCritters.com

best algaes for a pico?

SbCaes

what are some of the best pico algaes ? especially for a fluval edge config?

suggestions?

thoughts?

i was thinking oar grass, ochtodes, red grape, sargassum, fauchea, toadstool algae? maybe... cymbalta? etc? what do you folks think?

For an edge I would go with ochtodes and fauchea. Sargassum and oar grass may struggle under the stock lighting. Red grape can grow pretty tall so it may look kind of weird -- I forget how tall the edge is exactly.

You should definitely consider codium, red titan, and halymenia. Some algae that live in the sand like mermaid's fan, shaving brush, etc. would also be nice.

carbon-mantis

Codium taylorii grows fairly slowly and stays rather small in my experience. There are a few nice matting caulerpa species that would look nice in a pico, but if it released gametes it would almost certainly crash the tank, so that might be off the list.

The so called "red spot" algae that pops up here from time to time looks nice and stays manageable.

Mermaids fan, shaving brush, and pinecone algae all stay manageable if they can get enough calcium. Fauchea stays on the small side from what I've seen as well.

Can't say on halymenia. I've kept H.floresia in a 10g and it nearly grew out of the water, though it was being fertilized with tap water, so clean water may slow it's growth.

There is one weird species of halimeda that grows in my tank that would be perfect for a pico. Fronds are only a few(maybe 4 or 5) mm in width and link closely together, giving it a very short, bushy look. Haven't propagated it though so there aren't any specimens available that I know of.

Archived