SaltCritters.com

Filtration Question

Mnesarchus

After reading many of the specifications of the members nano's, I see that very few people use filtration other than biological. I am planning to use a cannister filter on my 10g because it will add volume to my tank, increase water movement, and I am going to remove the media and put my heater in it.

What, if any, media should I leave in?

i'm curious, how are you going to put the heater in and still seal the 'canister'?

as to the question, you could used crushed coral to the media cartridges. this gives excellent surface area and some dissolution of additives just like aragonite sand does. i don't like the ceramic media that comes included with those canister filters but that's just mo.

TinyReef, there are canister filters out there that can take a heater inside them.

I know the Eheim range of filters even come with heaters etc.

As to the original question....

I am using a Fluval 304 canister on my tank. Its added a further 6litres of volume. I added a spraybar to the output end, and it gives better water flow all round. I am not using a filter medium.

I just run carbon now and again and ran Rowaphos when I had diatoms.

Other than that, its not wise to put media in the filter as alot of peolple say this iwll just become a "nitrate factory".

I would add the filter for water movement and increased volume. And leave the filtration to be carried out by the rocks and sand.

Good luck with your proposed setup.

Archived