Cultivated Reef

CHUCK'S COLLEGE NANO REEF

chucktdbm321

Kinda ticked looks like i lost my monti caps. The rock must've re orintated itself so it was exposed out of water for some time and looks really bad. Besides that the move went well On a side note looks like two of my friends are going to be hooking me up some nice pieces

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there any way you could possibly bring your montis back to life or are they definitely gone? I thought I lost some trumpet coral, but it looks as though its making a return!

looks like the one is a goner looked like all its tissue RTN, but only time will tell, since i've been messing around with the leds i switched back to T5s for a little and i don't know what it is about t5s but the a lot of the times imo they just look "better"

Yea, I can see what you mean. I think the color is more even and consistent, rather than sharp and "spot lighted" like LED's. Some of the best, shallow tanks on here have t5's If they get the job done and you like them, no reason not to use them. And sorry for your loss. :/

Yea no biggie about the cap but looks like the red one is coming back which i thought was a goner for sure. The T5's overall def look better than the leds <_< I feel the whole energy efficiency is awesome, the size of the fixtures is awesome, but from the tanks i've seen on most t5 and halide tanks look "better" than the leds

• 2 weeks later...
chucktdbm321

need to put pics up for comparision...

-but overall the reds look ten times better under the t5s than what they do with the leds

-i've noticed that my birdnest is completely green with reddish polyps and with leds it had lots of pink in it instead

- the rastas look much better and bigger under the leds where my radioactive DE look like crap under leds lol

Made a new arm for my fixture that i also re did (once again this post is #### without pics sorry) I also have 2 UV leds on the way from rapidled.com can't wait to put those bad boys on

move couldn't have went smoother... got everything up and running and i i have the 2 true violets leds on now. I took a pic before the leds and im going to post them up hopefully soon and then put picks up with the true violets to see if i am really getting any different coloration. Already thinking i should've just ordered some cw's and maybe a green or red led just to experiment...

• 2 weeks later...

Really happy with the TV leds from rapidled. Now that i have them i'd never do a build without them. It really seams to fill in the missing spectrum from our normal color ratios we've been using.

The two new pieces of coral i got was a holywood stunner frag and JF cyephestra (sp?) I really wanted to try some lps in my tank so i one of my reef buddies hooked me up with these two frags

Camera isn't actually mine but its my gf's and its much nicer than my point and shoot 16mp and some nice zoom so i'll be playing with that some as well

Thanks man, I can't beleive this tank is already 8 months old. Still seems so so young to me i guess since i don't have too much in it. But as far the true violets go im talking about aesthetically, growth i really can't say yet. For the most part i haven't had any issues with growth with the leds just color on some of the orange red colored corals.

Ahhh yea that really looks like it. I think i was thinking of a different piece. I know it had a name that I wasn't familiar with. Thanks lol

hmmmm... why the f*** did i get leds. I get the tv leds and absolutely love them and now i wanna try these turquoise leds out as well as throw in some cw to brighten the tank up. To anyone thinking about getting leds its as big as of a money pit as coral. You'll never be satisfied

one of sps (sorry don't know exactly what is called since a friend hooked me up with it) but it rtn'd again and the worst its every been. But looks like it has ceased for now. Im about to just pitch the thing cause everytime it heals up and looks great it rtns to almost nothing.

Do you have any ideas why? Just a wild guess but if you don't have any leads then maybe check your temp. My sps used to have a hard time because the heater I had was actually swinging +-3 ish degrees everyday....I just didn't realize it.

see that what i thought... But my rkl temp readings don't differ from as low as 77.0 to about 77.8. I'm starting to wonder if my roommate left the window open a little too long and cause the tank to drop real quick or something. Just weird that my other stuff like the lps, softies, and other sps look great. Which is why I am puzzled :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

so i've been dosing seachems 2 part system and have been watching ph swings through out the course of the day and testing etc. Well it seems to have back fired? So i think at least because my lps and sps just have not been looking so hot so im gonna not dose at all and see what happens. Also im really getting frustrated with leds. So i've raised my led fixture another 6" from the water so its a total of 12" from the water now and my new chalice and lps looks like its been getting bleached? I've had my whites so low to point where you can almost not tell there on. Im thinking that they maybe since i've raised the fixture that i need to turn the whites up to punch the whole way down to the bottom of the tank? I know bleaching is usually from too much light but i feel for how high the fixture is and how dialed down the whites are there is no way its too much light. So im going to be slowly powering up the whites up and see how the tank responds

Really happy with the TV leds from rapidled. Now that i have them i'd never do a build without them. It really seams to fill in the missing spectrum from our normal color ratios we've been using.

The two new pieces of coral i got was a holywood stunner frag and JF cyephestra (sp?) I really wanted to try some lps in my tank so i one of my reef buddies hooked me up with these two frags

Camera isn't actually mine but its my gf's and its much nicer than my point and shoot 16mp and some nice zoom so i'll be playing with that some as well

Be careful saying JF seems to be a touchy subject:/ if you want I can get you a frag of that no problema

Friend bought it from That Fish Place which sells his pieces quite often so im taking his word for it but im not a big name guru anyway.

Had a really big cyano outbreak only in my hob fuge. Wondering if the chaeto died or something to cause it the excess nutrients anyways did a big waterchange

• 2 weeks later...
chucktdbm321

Getting the tank ready for spring break...

I still have the leds way down due to the bleaching of the newly added lps. It seems that they are coming back but the chalice is coming back very SLOWLY. So i guess its matter of time. I'm thinking of the stuff i wanna do to this tank and im still seeing how the stuff is doing after i dialed the leds down but im pretty fed up with having to constantly adjust.

chucktdbm321

So im thinking once AGAIN i want to add some different leds for a full spectrum to my tank. Here is what im thinking...

led.png

What do you guys think? This make the one string have 4Rb and 2 TV and then the other string have 2cw, 2nw, and then a deep red and a turquoise

In my mind those colour combos sound like they might turn out a little dark, but I don't know what you're running currently so I could be completely wrong!

chucktdbm321

rb-nw-rb-nw

tv-rb-rb-tv

nw-rb-nw-rb

only difference is the two cw are nw and the deep red and turq are still rb. So i was thinking this would actually brighten up a bit.

Archived