Pod Your Reef

CHUCK'S COLLEGE NANO REEF

chucktdbm321

lookin good chuck. I'm confused though...why do you have a heater and pump in your transport bucket?

And btw you don't really need a sump to add an ATS. A standard 5 gallon bucket would actually work just fine lol. They really do help with nutrient control. I feed pretty heavily twice a day in my frag tank and nutrients are all in check.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
chucktdbm321

Im packing it all in the tank tonight lol. I'm running the heater and pump in there while im sleeping then unplugging everything and leaving around 6 am. This way i can have the whole tank taken down now and clean all the equipment while the rocks and coral stay comfortable in the bucket with the pump and heater. When im ready to leave i'll take the pump and heater out; then off to RMU!!!

Yea im debating whether i should keep running chemipure elite and instead have my chaeto go crazy and use it as nutrient absorber and filterfloss and wash it out every couple days. I always seem to get my best growth and everything when i'd let my tank go a little bit. Plus im still doing 3 gallon waterchanges every week and its keeping me in check easily. Eventually i'd like to have a sump and sand but thats after im done with school.

yea im pretty close to you, and jason who? is that zoafreak something lol

no, I'm Jon and i live in MICHIGAN, LOL.

anyways i hope your move goes well :)

chucktdbm321

Move went well and everything made it! Was worried since the drive was bumpy with some brake slamming and sharp turns; surely thought my birdnest was several new frags. But nope all went well

chucktdbm321

I've never been able to detect a cycle with my kit (api). I do you use seechem's version of like bacterboost. It basically adds more beneficial bacteria to the tank so im guessing it does help quite a bit if there was anything. The rock only stays out of water for no more the seconds and there is no sand, fish, anything really besides coral and 3 snails. Plus i stil use around 3.5 gallons of previous tank water. And as far as growth goes it doesn't really have much of a affect on the coral besides looking pissed for maybe a day or two

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't had the chance to put pics up yet... Not really sure what is going on in the tank. Somethings are growing really well like the birdnest, catspaw, and some of the zoas. But recently my redplanet just completely rtn'd overnight (temp swing??) and my darthmauls haven't been expanding fully so thats been ticking me off. And i had to 3 polyps of rastas that got completely smashed by a mag float! Since they are on a magnetic plug (cool idea, big mistake!) but they've been recovering for a week now and 2 of the 3 are completely healed and open and the other looks like it might open but its sprouting a bud so maybe it wasn't such a bad thing overall.

I'd like to get one small fish for this tank to help it age. But i don't feel like having to get an automated fish feeder or just hope the fish makes the ten day vacations. Thats another thing i noticed after the move there aren't as near as many isopods, maybe cause the algae has really gone down? Who knows, im gonna do some more testing and see whats going on in the tank. It could easily be the led lights still. Im just frustrated with it right now.

I'll put pics up eventually but now that school and track is going in my schedule the tank gets pushed aside for the most part besides waterchanges and maintence

Haven't had the chance to put pics up yet... Not really sure what is going on in the tank. Somethings are growing really well like the birdnest, catspaw, and some of the zoas. But recently my redplanet just completely rtn'd overnight (temp swing??) and my darthmauls haven't been expanding fully so thats been ticking me off. And i had to 3 polyps of rastas that got completely smashed by a mag float! Since they are on a magnetic plug (cool idea, big mistake!) but they've been recovering for a week now and 2 of the 3 are completely healed and open and the other looks like it might open but its sprouting a bud so maybe it wasn't such a bad thing overall.

I'd like to get one small fish for this tank to help it age. But i don't feel like having to get an automated fish feeder or just hope the fish makes the ten day vacations. Thats another thing i noticed after the move there aren't as near as many isopods, maybe cause the algae has really gone down? Who knows, im gonna do some more testing and see whats going on in the tank. It could easily be the led lights still. Im just frustrated with it right now.

I'll put pics up eventually but now that school and track is going in my schedule the tank gets pushed aside for the most part besides waterchanges and maintence

Lol I lost like half of my sps from a temp swing a month or two ago. I was P***** to say the least....but yea it could be temp. And my blondies haven't been opening up lately....no clue why. let me know if you ever figure out why your darthmauls are closing up. I've tried everything for my blondies and still nothing's working. But for the auto feeder, I know there's time released fish food for fw. Not sure if they make em for sw though....I guess it's worth a shot haha.

yea that time release #### is awesome for fw but not sure if they have anything for sw... But yea im not sure if its the new leds or a temp swing... The darthmauls seemed to be awesome for awhile but seem to have been going down hill. Like i love saltwater so much but when you have your down times and don't know how to fix it, it drives me nuts :rant:

Update: 9/13/2011

Well no pics gang so if you don't like reading try again later lol.

Anyways, I cranked the leds up so the blues are running at 100% @ 700ma while the whites are around 75% @700ma. Definitely seeing postive results in the tank. And im guessing that was one of the main problems that i was facing with my sps and what not earlier. So im hoping the stuff like the darth mauls turn around with the new adjustment to the lights. I have also removed chemipure from my ac50 awhile ago(did this because the amount of detritus and "gunk" that was getting stuck in those bags was turning water super dark every week!! i reccomend cleaning yours out as well) and have just been running chaeto. Since then almost all the algae is entirely gone! And the chaeto has slowed down growth considerably meaning im on the right track again. Now that im all settled in and not planning on any coral purchases for awhile. I've considered getting a fish to help the tank a long with maturing. And im really not sure where i wanna go with this tank since the sps bug has really slowed down in me and lps might be picking up :lol:

Current Ideas or purchases...

Im about to pull the trigger on marinedepot.com's deal on the RKL package with the sl1 and with free ph probe for 199.

Also can't wait to move this tank into a mr aqua 11.4

Will be messing with my leds over christmas break and i'll talk more about it later. But basically im gonna be doing some trimming on the heatsink to make it extremely compact, as well as replacing two rb with some uv leds.

I'll say i'll put pics up soon, i even cleaned the glass and everything but who knows when it'll happen lol

FTS: 9/14/11

024-1.jpg

NW @ 80% RB 100% Pic looks weird cause there is a lot more color on the rocks but o well lol!

021-2.jpg

018-5.jpg

So I pulled the trigger and got the marinedepot special rkl that comes with an sl1 and ph probe. I also got the ato kit with a aquadoser pump. As you can see my tank is super bare after selling a bunch of coral and losing some from a temp swing... Im getting a fish in the near future so i have something to look at lol. But yea the tank is just slowly going along and im keeping it super simple for now. Im really lost where i wanna go with this tank now maybe lps dominated with lots of movement??? Not sure lol.

thanks, im just bored with this tank at the moment lol but i really can't wait for the rocks to really purple up and start looking more like a reef came across my old tank that had established rock that was over 5 years old and ran with me for 3 years. But here are some old goodies of my 15 before it went to ####! Sorry for the crappy phone pics lol

Left side

downsized950111011429a.jpg

Middle

downsized950111011429.jpg

Right side

downsized950111011430.jpg

The nuc greens were looking like #### for the longest time and i just ramped the leds and now they all came back and i have 4 heads now so not too bad. Did you get some of my old pieces growing for some frags for me ? :blush:

Archived