Pod Your Reef

bleach

AReeferIsExpensive

AReeferIsExpensive

I have those barnacle decorations in my tank. They were real barnacles at one time but they cluster them and sell them at the LFS. They are white but one time when my timer failed to turn off my light they started green. They are now GREEN and i want them white again

If i wash it REALLY REALLY REALLY good, can i take a clorox bleach soaked tooth brush to get it white again??

We used to do this as normal maintenance for cleaning coral decorations when I worked at LFS's. You can do it and there is no need to scrub...just let them soak. Usually a few hours does it and them soak them in a bucket with dechlor overnight minimal...maybe even 2-3 days changing the water out at least once.

It's ok to do if you know what your doing....make sure you do plenty of sniff tests and make sure it's clean of any bleach before it touches your tank.

Cameron

Yep. It works just fine to soak it. After it's gone you might try sticking it in the tank on the back of your toilet for a few days. Every time you flush it will be rinsed with fresh water. Do not try this if you use or have recently used one of those self cleaning blocks or cleaner dispensers in the tank though.

If you take the decholination route then I would see if you can get your hands on some then I recommend sodium thiosulfate int he crystal form. You get way more ofr your money than with tose liquide dchlorinators. You may be able to get it in the pond section of your LFS or garden center. Some pool and hot tub places may also have it.

i was always paranoid when doing that when working at an LFS. I was sure I was going to kill everything by leaving some bleach on there.

Originally posted by trmiv

i was always paranoid when doing that when working at an LFS.  I was sure I was going to kill everything by leaving some bleach on there.

Where did ya work? I noticed you live in Fremont and I used to work for Aquarium Concepts in Hayward for ~4-5 years and before that worked at The Fish Tank in Sunnyvale for around 4 years.

Cameron

Originally posted by Physh1

Where did ya work? I noticed you live in Fremont and I used to work for Aquarium Concepts in Hayward for ~4-5 years and before that worked at The Fish Tank in Sunnyvale for around 4 years.

Cameron

I worked at McCloud's Pet Emporium in Newark, CA, back when they were still open. That was like 8-9 years ago back when McCloud's was huge.

What Aquarium Concepts location did you work at? I've been to all of them, I used to go to the original one over by the airport all the time.

The first location was near the airport. I didn't start there until it had moved onto "C" street in and now it's a few blocks away on Foothill. I also worked at the Foothill location before I moved away.

Cameron

I liked the original location, it was more of a specialty place then. No freshwater, just saltwater. They did have reptiles for a bit there though.

The C Street location was OK, but parking sucked. Holding fish and not paying attention, I backed into a freaking pole or something in the "parking lot" there.

Originally posted by trmiv

I liked the original location, it was more of a specialty place then.  No freshwater, just saltwater.  They did have reptiles for a bit there though.

The C Street location was OK, but parking sucked.  Holding fish and not paying attention, I backed into a freaking pole or something in the "parking lot" there.

yeah...the parking there sucked. Nice thing about the new spot is that there is plenty of parking.....

Cameron

Archived