Cultivated Reef

GSP missing polyps!?

saltyFISHscales

saltyFISHscales

I have some GSP missing their polyps, it looks like something has been eating the ends of them... Does anyone have any ideas what or who would cause this?! I had one of those damn nudibranches that eat aptasia and ended up killing that hitchhicker the other day when i say him laying in my zoo's. Would he eat the GSP too? I'll try to take some photo's tomorrow of what the end of the polyps look like. Any ideas?

Yep, severl nudi's will dine on coral polyps. The other leading cause is polyp bailout in response to poor water quality and/or light shock.

Properly fed and lit, the coral will easily recover. GSP's are sensitive to iodide and nitrates, so double check them with test kits if you can.

Since they're a matte coral, you might have some localized die-off where the polyps are missing, but GSP is a fast grower and can easily re-grow given proper conditions and a little zooplankton. It's hard to keep them from growing IMHO!

Double check your nitrates and if you're supplimenting iodide or a vitamin suppliment with iodide, make sure you're not overdosing. Provided everything is o.k. with the water chemistry, they should grow back like wildfire and begin carpeting your LR.

saltyFISHscales

yeah, cool thanks! i just found another one of those damn nudi's... but i dont have my camera. So i let it live until i can take a photo of it. lucky lit *#$%!

Archived