ReefCleaners.org

Canopy with cover glass?

FamousGuy

here's my predicament....on my five gallon installing a cover glass below the lights in the canopy was no problem, since it was an open top aquarium. On my 20tall acrylic however, it has a top with slots in it (not removeable). Therefore, if i put a condensation barrior between the lights and the tank there will basically be TWO layers of acrylic/glass in between the lights and the water...any ideas on what I should do?

just use an acrylic sheet. the light transmission thru acrylic is much better than a glass panel, almost perfect. plus the weight difference and handling for maintenance is better for acrylic than glass. think of it as the splash guard sheet that normally are included with prefabricated hoods.

if it truly bothers you to have an additional acrylic sheet covering the entire top then just use smaller pieces over the holes. this accomplishes two things: first, the cover you desire and second, a ventilation space the thickness of the smaller covers to aid in cooling the lights (if the lights are sitting directly on the tank, probably not since it acrylic X) ).

Archived