Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Help Setting Up 10 Gallon Hex Tank

samksy1

I'm trying to convert my 10 gallon Hex FW tank to SW. I currently have a 100 watt heater, regular fluoricence light and a bio wheel filter. Which i'll take out the bio Wheel soon.

I'm planning to get

10-15 pound of fuji rocks

10-20 pound of live sands

hydrometer

Mixed water from LFS

and 2 clown fish after setup.....a day or two. correct me if i shouldn't?

Is there anything i need. And for live rocks, do they need special lightings? Do i need a clean up crew at this point and a sump? or can i go without a sump? Thanks a lot

Your fish should be your last addition to the tank. You should add the live rock and sand and let the tank cycle. The cycle will take 1 to 4 weeks and sometimes longer. Then add a cleanup crew. After a week or so if your parameters are stable then you can think of adding some fish. The key is patience, only bad things happen fast when it comes to reefs.

Your setup looks good but you will want more water movement, add a couple of power heads and much more lighting. You shouldn't need a sump. Many of the people on the board run their tanks with out a sump. If you want to add one later you can but it is not essential.

You are right in removing the bio wheel, the live rock will take care of the bio filtration.

Set up the tank with live rock and sand and do research. By the time your tank has cycled you will have a better understanding of the requirements of a reef tank. You should pick up some tests also so you can track the cycle.

Look around the board and don't be afraid to ask questions. Make use of the search button before you do though. Most of your questions can be answered there. Also be weary of the information your LFS gives you.

Good luck

I have been reading the forum for quite a while, gettting so excited to start a SW. As you mention, a better lighting, should i get PC or should I get MH? I plan to have a simple reef aquarium. And for the lighting, do i turn it on 24/7? Oh should i run the filter with carbon too?

I have an aqu 402 250 gph, hope that's good for the 10 gallon hex.

AnthonyNguyen

if u wanna keep it simple, do PC, they cost a lil cheaper, MH is kinna expensive. Are u plan to have any coral? if u do, than turn your light on 10-12 hrs per day. not 24/7. if u do thinking about getting some coral, get 96W PC, corallife. and yes run the filter and take out the carbon, u only running carbon when your water is stink. if u run carbon during the cycle its gonna boost up your nitrate, so NO NO and try to use Distilled Water only, weekly changing water 10%. Sality keep at 1.025.

Archived