ReefCleaners.org

Saul's MB7 update

Saul 1

Here is an up to date shot of what my minibow currently looks like. I have built a my own red oak canopy that houses 2X32W atinic PC's and a 70W HQi metal halide from Dr. Lamp. It also has a swing hood for feeding/coral access. Comments are always welcome.

This is what my lighting looks like inside. I'll post a better pic with flash when my batteries charge up again. I have stuck the glass to the top of the hood with pieces of wood and rails. It swings up with the hood. Very convenient.

1fish 2fish,

I bent the oak. Used the famous Foo/MattGecko thread a while back for help. Have to admit it was tough to bend. I also want to say that I am no woodworker. This was the first time I ever used a jigsaw to cut the wood and build my canopy. I think it came out pretty good for a beginner. The canopy is 6 inches high and stained with red oak stain. The bent wood is 1/8" thick, and top and sides are 1/2'' thick. Wood used is red oak.

reeferbuddha, I got my ric for free when I ordered coral from farms at the sea.

-Saul

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to have to do some planing or use Matt supplier. I tried to steam bend yesterday. I was using a 1" thick piece and keep in mind tha I'm putting a 2" bend in it andit's only 8" long. I got it to bend, but I think I removed the clamps too soon. I go too much spring back and I am not going through that hassle again. It takes alot of force to bend 1" oak LOL.

Wow thats one of the nicest minibows ive ever seen. Very clean setup. Nice plate coral they grow fast mine doubled the size in 3 weeks. Are you running true 03 actinic or the CSL 7100k ultra actinic. You must have a well vented hood for that 70hqi. 19watts per gallon your lookin Niceeeeeeee. How is your evap do you have a topoff. NIce filled out minibow and colorful. So whats your upgrade gonna be common i know you want to upgrade:D

GSXR1000,

I am running the CSL 7100K ultra atinic. For ventilation, I bought a stealth 3" fan and have an 1.5 inch fan which I will upgrade to 3". The temp. has stayed at 80 F. Well this is the upgrade. I was considering putting in a 150W HQI which was the reason for having my hood 6 inches high but that will now wait.

My specs are the following:

DIY auto top off

DIY moonlight

DIY red oak canopy w/ swing hood

DIY 2X32W PC's

DIY snail guard

reto 70W MH

aquaglobe w/ Spray bar

rio powerhead

prizm skimmer

AC mini filter

50W neptune heater

8lbs of tonga LR

3lbs of branched tonga LR

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Corals

Pink Pocillopora

purple,red,green/blue striped mushrooms

Xenia

green fungia plate

purple moniti. digitata

hydnophora

bubble coral

orange monti. cap

2 ricordias

green zoos

orange zoos

pink zoos

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inhabitants:

True perculas clown

multifaciatus goby (AKA green banded goby)

2 bumble bee snails

4 margarita snails

1 conch

2 painted snails

2 nasisaurus snails (hitchhikers)

1 red scarlett hermit

1 hermit

1 small emerald carb (hitchhiker)

unidentified baby snail

many, many copepods

2 bristle stars (hitchhikers)

Does it really take take 2x32 watt pcs to supplment a 70 hqi. Im running with a 175 10k with 2x32 pc PFO pendant. I was thinking of upgrading to a 150 HQI just cause there new and cool. and reuse the 2x32 pc for supplment. I wander if i would need more. I really like my setup though my growth and color is awesome. Plus my hood has a built in 4" fan i have 0 heat probs over my 20L.

I'd like to thank everyone for the positive compliments.

GSXR1000,

No, I dont think it takes 2X32W PC's to suppliment. Many only use one 32W PC. I did try this on my MH and found that it looked too yellow/white for me and thought an additional PC would give it a better look. In the end, I think its just a matter of personal choice.

-Saul

I would just like to notify the forum that Saul1 has been stealing pictures off of my website and trying to pass them off as his own.

Bad Saul. Bad Saul.

What website? Give us the link. Dont mind him, hes just jealous of my fish tank. Hes a fellow labmate. Look at his time of registration. Just registered. Fishbulb has never existed. I'll post more picks to prove their mine.

-Saul

Archived