Coral Vue Hydros

trading the dog for my first reef!

Mermaid

OK... so I'm not really trading in the dog we currently have. We're just not getting a second one. :P I've convinced my husband to let me have just one more tank instead of spending the money on another furry friend (ya know dogs ain't cheap either!). I've been lurking on this forum for a few weeks now and I'm hooked.

I'm still in the planning phase but I'd like to do it right the first time so input is very welcome.

Equipment so far:

10g AGA

AC500 - for a refugium and flow (do I need to add any PHs with this?)

7w PC - to light the refug

50W ebo-jager heater

20" CSL fixture (2x40W) - just ordered!

I'm hoping the 80W PC will be enough for me to get my feet wet with beginner mushrooms and zoo's and I'll have time to gather the parts for Kracker's 70W MH mod. So other than that I just need to add salt, water, LS and LR... am I leaving anything out?

The flow from the AC500 will be more than enough for the 10g. You might even consider doing the AC300.

Sounds good though! Just reasearch reasearch research (which it sounds like you are doing :) )

mermaid, everything you have listed sounds good so far. personally, i would still add a powerhead. when mixed with an hob, it makes some cool random currents instead of just one steady current from the powerfilter. i have two powerheads along with my ac200 causing some serious random turbulence. and turbulence is good, cause the ocean doesn't sit still or flow smoothly. but you seem to have done your homework, so you should be well on your way to reefing zen. and the lighting that you specify will be more than sufficient to keep just about anything that you want, even without the m/h modification. good luck, and welcome aboard.

Thanks for the replies! I must have been a librarian in one of my past lives because I do love to read everything I can get my hands on... just a wee bit obsessive that way! (Me and my reef should get along just fine)

I think I'll give that extra PH a try because I was thinking the same thing about just having the HOB... not enough random flow. I do realize that the AC500 will be a bit overkill but that's what I have to work with and I'd rather put the extra money into the lights. Thanks for the reassurance though... nice to know I'm heading in the right direction!

More questions to come, I'm sure :D

Archived