ReefCleaners.org

Can i use this water?

Lloyd_Christmas

Lloyd_Christmas

Can i used water from my established 55 gallon freshwater and add salt to lessen cycling time on a 20 gallon nano?

no, do your reading first, fw and sw are different and if you're even thinking about jumping into this hobby you ought to know better before you do.

K here are some of the facts.

1) Adding salt to the fresh water will kill of the beneficial bacteria. Not a big deal since you need a different species for saltwater anyways, but read # 2.

2) Using the waste water from your freshwater tank will only give you a bunch of nitrates, phosphates and miscellaneous organic molecules causing a nice algae bloom. You will get plenty of these through cycling your tank.

3) If you have not already done so I would recommend doing some serious reading before dipping your toes in the salt water pond. This forum is a great source of knowledge.

4) Berfore getting talked into anything that you do not need I recommend using the search tool here. Many newbies get talked into high priced gadgets. Some of them work quite nicely, but few are necesary.

5) before buying any animals make sure you know their needs and temperament. Some animals do not play well with others.

6) You have done the correct thing and asked those with experience for advice.

7) If you have questions then this is the place to ask. I would recommend that you take your time, do some reading and use the search tool. Very often the answer to your question is only a click away. If you do a searcha nd still can't find the answer post here and more often than not you will get replies.

8) Reefing requires patience, patience, and more patience. Oh and some cash too hehe.

Welcome to the hobby.

Archived