Cultivated Reef

size, habitants,

fishy20

Just wondering

I have a 10 gal saltwater tank. what size refug. should I make?

What should I have in the refug. any lighting????

You won't need one, although you could use an empty HO filter, such as an aquaclear or a whisper HO filter as a refugium.

Refugiums aren't absolutely necessary for a successful reef tank, although they can be beneficial. With a small tank like that, i'd hold off.

• 2 weeks later...
AReeferIsExpensive

Fishy, im setting up a sump/fuge for my 10 gallon.

B4 u go through the trouble of setting it up, you should make sure you actually want one cause like aiptasia said, its not required. Im doing it to hide equipment, increase water volume and benifical elements, and to lower temp, evaporation, and nitrates. I also thought about the fact that i own a 10 g, but after sand and rocks..its prob around 8 gallons..which is way too prone to fluctuations.

Im almost done making one ...its a 5.5 gallon that hangs on the back of my main tank. It was cheap and easy to make...i didnt use an eclipse, but this is what gave me the idea

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=24873

I modified it with baffles and some other things...

Im def having light on it so i can have a nice amount of life in it...the lighting cycle is going to be the opposite of my main tank..on when its off. For many reasons including PH....well g/l!

Archived