ReefCleaners.org

800ppm calcium is that possible??

mxpro32

i tested my water twice for calcium using the red sea calcium test. i followed the directions perfectly both times. the first time i had a reading of 750ppm and the second time it was 800ppm. my alkalinity is at 3.0. if its right is that harmful to have calcium that high. i added a sea-lab #28 block to my hang on back filter about 4 days ago and i suspect thats why its so high. thanks for the help.

I have questioned the reliability of the #28 blocks since anthony218 first showed them to me. I just don't buy that it's a very good self-regulator.

High calcium can deplete the water of oxygen. I'd do a water change if I were you.

and make sure you test your new water before changing it.

I just discovered a few days ago that my tank was above 650 (the limit of the test I had used), so I tested my change water, and it too was off the charts. I suspect the store I buy it from (it's premixed there with their own RO/DI water) hasn't changed their filter on their RO/DI unit recently, because my phospohorous is out of hand, too.

Matthew

Christopher Marks

I would definately do a water change just to be safe, and perhaps take a water sample to a LFS to double check the calcium. Don't be suprised if it starts "snowing" in your tank too.

hey mx,

I just started using the Sea-Lab 28 tablets a few days ago, they have brought by Ca up slightly and everything else seems okay.

Soooooo, not sure if they could be your prob or not, however... the blocks should NOT be place in your HOB or any other real high flow area... this supposedly makes them dissolve way too rapidly.

I put two blocks in my 'fuge last Monday and they just look a little "worn" around the edges. Just a thought..

i agree with glazer..don't put it to where high current is..they will dissolve prematurly..but again..i don't think its the Sea Chem No 28..beacuse they only should contain enough Ca in there at about 400ppm...if your cube is dissolving within a week..then taht is too fast..i put 8 in my 50 gallon tank..and it lasts me 2-3 weeks before i have to add more...

but..do a water change if you can..it will never hurt

i had the water tested at the lfs and they came up with 600ppm calcium and the alk was 3.0 like i got on my test kit. he said the difference is the way i held the reagent bottle. he held it strait up and down which makes bigger more accurate drops than holding it at an angle like i did. 600 is still a bit high but im gonna wait a few days to see if it comes down. i like the idea of the blocks though they are easy to use. i am no longer using the b-ionic.

You are not suposed to put them in areas of high flow. Had U read the directions you would seen that not have put it in the filter. Secondly, Calcium falls out of solution at 620 ppm at a Dkh of 11- 12. I hope you dont have an alkalinity drop-off... or else you will have a nice "Christmas Globe" in your tank as Chris mentioned. If dosing with B-ionic proved too difficult, then I suggest U not be in this hobby if you want to be lax and not pay attention to the water chemestry. The Blocks can cause major problems... CONSIDER THIS A WARNING !X) They use plaster to help bind them.

the reef expert at my lfs that i go to who is a marine biologist that knows just about everything when it comes to reefs and reef chemistry says that it is really easy to get things out of balance with the b-ionic. he said he uses the blocks to help smooth out the teeter totter action of the calcium and the alk. my ca is at 600 and the alk is at 3.0 everything is doing fine. the block is dissolving too fast in the hob so i put it in the tank. i am not too lazy to add the b-ionic i am just trying something new that i feel might be the best for my tank. and i do keep track of my tank chemistry. i will test my tank whether i am using the blocks or the b-ionic or anything else i might try. all of our tanks are experimental and i think that if you keep a close eye on things there is nothing wrong with trying something new. i think thats part of the fun.

600ppm calcium is hard to get. Very hard. Forget about 800ppm--your test kit is broken. This happens a lot. I would be very very hesistant to hang my hat on the 600ppm.

I ll look into an alternate source I had a while back for just such blocks. Ill compare them and I ll post where (and what is in them)

soon... It sounds reasonable to use them in conjunction with the 2 Parts.;)

Archived