Top Shelf Aquatics

Found small piece of ocean rock

oleolson1

When I was in Mexico in March I found this small rock on the beach and pocketed it thinking I could throw it in my tank and use it as a frag rock or something. I didn't really think about the impact of a rock this small but thought I would ask about anyone's thoughts. Would a rock this small cause any sort of mini-cycle or anything? Maybe a stupid question but I would hate to find out the hard way. BC14

post-64838-1305072625_thumb.jpg

paradox_of_reef

Do you have a harvesting permit? JK I don't think it will adversely effect anything in your tank nor will it's absence at the beach be terribly noticed.

Edit: Just saw the pic you will be fine....

I would bet to say, that something that small unless it has metal fused in it, wouldnt cause any harm or cycle of any type. You very well could notice it covered in algae in couple weeks though. :P

Do you have a harvesting permit? JK I don't think it will adversely effect anything in your tank nor will it's absence at the beach be terribly noticed.

Edit: Just saw the pic you will be fine....

whoops :o

gulfsurfer101

It should cause no problem but I would soak in ro water over night and let it sund dry for a day and then you basically have base rock. It's a pretty cool looking peice, nice way to always keep mexico with you.

• 1 month later...

I have 5 small shells in my tank that I found on Coco Beach in Florida. I just tossed them in. They sit on my sand and are covered in algae now. :D

I've gotten rock from beaches in Guam and Japan, and I just boil the rock for an hour or two, then dry and cool completely. Put in tank after that. :)

Edit: Wrong country.

Archived