inTank Media Baskets

12 G Nano Cube Help with original parts

bcerveny

Hi,

Just set up a 12G Nano Cube. The salesperson at the fish store told me to remove the block filter. Is this advisable ? Seems like the company would not include it if not needed.

some take it out, some leave it in. mines been in for 6 months.

if removed, replace it with something, IMO, like LR or another form of carbon filter.

DitchPlains

The block filters in the first chamber (thats where the intake is, are stacked vertically and will collect particles but will develop sludge (bacteria) and thus be a nitrate factory over time. This is ok and beneficial when your first starting your tank (ie: cycling etc...) but not when its setup. iI removed the sponges put live rock rubble n pieces in that chamber. In the second chamber I placed a long knee high sock (filter media bag) of Black Diamond Activated Carbon. In the second chmaber I have a 500ml bag of Purgien at the base and one of those block sponges over the top In the last chamber with the pump I have another one of those block filters I cut to fit in front of the output as a final filter. It sounds complex but its very easy and the best solution to removing organic materials causing algae blooms. I am waiting on my CSL Retrofit in the mail and my two new minijet 404's to replace this crappy Profile I bought at Petco. Anyways good luck man:ermm:

DitchPlains

Yeah its a great little tank despite what others say. Good Luck with it. Oh remeber any high light requiring corals will require either the upgrade to the CSL 32 watt retrofit or placement at the top of the tank so they can be closer to the light source.

Take Care

DAVE:nerd:

DitchPlains

Most of my upgrades if ya can even call them that, mostly just simple products can be purchased at LFS or Petco, or if your an online hsopper I reccomend MarineDepot, they have great prices or Fosters and Smith, both very reputable for parts.

Good luck man

Dave

Archived