Pod Your Reef

What snails do you use?

Totlxtc

Hi all, looking for some suggestions on small snails the actually do their job. Tank size is 7g and only snails i have are turbo's. I think they would do too much damage in such a small space. So what types do you use?

Thanks!

Keep a variety of snails a few of each, as they will all eat different things. ALSO see the other 15 threads on snails; we beat this issue to death in them ;)

I agree with Dave. Variety is the key.

With a diverse cleanup crew, the snails/hermits etc will target slightly different niches etc. So you get an all round cleaning instead of just targeted cleaning of one thing.

I have found Astreas to be the most hard working. I have at least 4 different kinds of snails in my tank.

My Astreas actually cleaned my tank of massive diatoms a month back.

Hope this helps.

my astreas work hard but the only thing they eat is the brown diatoms and i need somthing to eat hair algae.

Captain_Nemo

My lfs says that some snails can scratch up acrylic tanks, so if you have an acrylic tank, I think they said go with the Astreas.

I need to get some myself, Algae is starting up. Ill check again tomorrow and see if it in fact was the astreas, for anyone else that may have an acrylic tank.

Captain Nemo

Archived