Coral Vue Hydros

####ing zoa nudibranches! need help

mmcguffi

I just found a #### ton of nudis all over one of my zoa colonies. These guys are tiny, about 1 mm maybe. Tried to get a picture but my camera died. I want to get to the LFS to get something before they close, what do I do? I assume there is a dip I should use? Are my other zoa/paly colonies safe?

Pickle010

Doesn't sound like Nudi's at 1mm - sounds more like Pods.

Anyhow, if you are sure they are nudis (i'd double check the identification thread) I had great luck with kent Marine's Tech D - took multiple dippings and blottings to get all the eggs and nudis.

But Nudi's get big - like closer to a quarter inch and largers.

Doesn't sound like Nudi's at 1mm - sounds more like Pods.

Anyhow, if you are sure they are nudis (i'd double check the identification thread) I had great luck with kent Marine's Tech D - took multiple dippings and blottings to get all the eggs and nudis.

But Nudi's get big - like closer to a quarter inch and largers.

They are absolutely nudis. Ive never seen them this small either. They even have the same purple/green coloration as the colony they were found on.

All of the info you need can be found here: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t=0&start=0

Thanks!!!

So according to the article you linked me my best course of action would be a FW dip with lugols iodine? Also does this mean I only have to treat the visibly infected colony or are all of them in danger?

Weetabix7

I wouldn't worry bout the lugol's so much (although you can), but you def need to do a FW dip as I described on that link.

You will also need to examine the colony for Nudi eggs and remove.

I would at the very least examine neighboring colonies/rocks for Nudis, dip if concerned or you see signs.

Can't remember if it's mentioned in the link, but don't FW dip Palys for more than one minute, they are much more sensitive to FW dips than Zoas.

So according to the article you linked me my best course of action would be a FW dip with lugols iodine? Also does this mean I only have to treat the visibly infected colony or are all of them in danger?

I had nudi's and it sucks. My advice....take immediate action.

I took the route of setting up a 10 gal (cheap) quarantine tank with a small HOB filter....maybe 40 bucks for the whole deal. Then I would dip the colony's with Coral RX every 3 days. This is needed as the incubation period for the nudi eggs is fairly short...so you need to stay on top of the dippings. Keep a close eye out for the eggs....they are shiny...but easy to miss if you aren't looking for them.

Good luck!

Weetabix7

LUGOL'S WILL NOT KILL NUDIS!!!!

Coral Rx has a decent chance of killing them although I haven't tried it myself.

FW dips will kill them.

So Im sure Im just stating what everyone already knows but I thought I would just throw it out there.

I did a little experiment. I siphoned up one of the larger nudis (1/4"?) and kept in a small container with SW for about an hour. The water became room temp and the nudi was still crusin' around. I dumped the SW and poured in some distilled water. It seems after about 5-10 the nudi was dead. It could have died before that but it was certainly dead after that amount of time.

How long is too long for a FW dip for zoas? Im sure 5 min is okay but is 10 min too long?

I dip my zoas for 15 minutes. Be sure to adjust PH as well as temperature. Salinity is ok but a big flop in PH to go with the lack of salinity can be hazardous to your zoa.

I'm suprised noone has mentioned flatworm exit.

Hmm good call on pH. How would I adjust it? I dont have any kalkwasser. I do have baking soda though. Would that work do you think? or what would be better?

Imo don't worry about ph. 3-5 min in some ro water and swirl the colony around a bit. Check the other zoas you have for nudis and repeat. Quarantine them and repeat fw dip for the eggs in a few days.

So Im assuming that is an indirect way of telling me I dont have to adjust for pH because Weetie didnt mention it?

Imo don't worry about ph. 3-5 min in some ro water and swirl the colony around a bit. Check the other zoas you have for nudis and repeat. Quarantine them and repeat fw dip for the eggs in a few days.

Cool, thanks much :)

I use Seachem Marine buffer.

Another strategy that I use is getting a mini carpet anemone. I manually pick the nudi off as I see them and dispose of them in the mini nem.

And encase you didn't get the memo, six-line wrasse are suppose to eat these. I got mine to help with flatworms and I was also in the market for another fish in my tank. This worked out perfect.

I'd avoid baking soda myself. Simply because I'm not sure the effects it could have on my animals. Sure it changes PH but I'm not believing that all that bubbly action is due to a PH increase.

I use Seachem Marine buffer.

Another strategy that I use is getting a mini carpet anemone. I manually pick the nudi off as I see them and dispose of them in the mini nem.

lol awesome

And encase you didn't get the memo, six-line wrasse are suppose to eat these. I got mine to help with flatworms and I was also in the market for another fish in my tank. This worked out perfect.

In case you didnt get the memo I have a 6 gallon tank :)

I'd avoid baking soda myself. Simply because I'm not sure the effects it could have on my animals. Sure it changes PH but I'm not believing that all that bubbly action is due to a PH increase.

It's due to CO2 escaping but I think Im going to follow the advice of others and not worry about it

lol awesome

In case you didnt get the memo I have a 6 gallon tank :)

Well I got it now.

With these guys having experience with not changing the ph then I'll buy that and not worry about it.

Fresh water dip will kill nudibranchs almost instantly. Coral Rx works good too. Siphon off any stragglers you find.

toss in a yellow coris wrasse. them things love to eat the nudis and any other pests :)

Not in a 6 gallon.

Woah so I think I just had a major revelation.

I was inspecting some of my other zoa colonies and I noticed a few other nudis. The little dangly tentacles that hang off of them are colored the same as the respective zoa colony they are on. Purple/brown tentacles on one colony, neon green on an other, and neon red on an other one.

I red on wikipedia that nudis can remove the stinging cells from cnidarians (nematocytes) and incorporate them into their body. I guess this would be a major explanation on why nudis look like whatever they are eating.

Im 95% certain these are from the same population of nudis. They all appeared for the first time today and all have the exact same morphology besides color.

Sucks that I have them but I find this fascinating. I dont think anyone has ever reported this as far as I have seen.

Archived