Top Shelf Aquatics

What is good mh for 20 gal.?

EricVA

Hey, I want to get some MH lighting for my 20 high, what wattage would be good? And do you know of any cheap pendant shells? (Or can you tell me how to retro fit a reflector in a hood ie: Materials, tools?) Thanks so much!

I saw your posts, the only prob. is the cost of that, and the fact that CSL called it quits (and yes i know that you can still get them online). But a quick q, do you sell them (the retrofitted ones)? and how do they work? Thanks for the help

well a couple halides i think a 70watt is too week for a 20 high. Well its not to weak but you could deff go bigger especially for sps and clams. YOu could do a 175 halide retro with pc actinic or vho. Also you could do a DE 150 10k hqi. Or if you want a 20k i would do a 250 hqi.

Yeah, if you want to use a 20k bulb and keep SPS/clams then I would get a 250w (even if you dont want to keep SPS/clams I would get a 250...since 20k 150's are dim and kinda weak

If your gonna be using a 10k bulb, then 150/175 is fine.

(i have a 150hqi on my 20H btw)

I have a 20H as well and I was planning to mod it and add a MH (thanks Kracker), but I'm not sure about what combination of PC an MH I should use. RIght now it has 2x65W PCs. I could add 1 70W MH, or 2 70W MH, or possibly even 1 150W MH, or 1 175W MH. Since I'm already running 130W of PCs, which MH would setup would be best? If I add one 70W, that already 200W on a 20g tank. Adding a 175W would be 305W total. That seems like a lot for a 20g tank. Would that just be overkill?

I know a lot of people say "you can never have too much light", but I'm not really wanting to go overboard here, I just want plenty of light to do what ever I want in the tank, but not an excessive amount.

i agree with you on that one i have the same setup with 130w pc retro from pfo and just installed a 175mh in there 13k bulb and is doing well and not overheating it either

Archived