Top Shelf Aquatics

Petco Algae pad

Asureef

Warning for anyone who has a glass tank, stay away from their algae pad. LFS was not open, so I went to petco and got one of their blue pad. Works great removing algae films on glass, but also leaves behind light scratches on the glass.

javisaman

Yikes. Are you sure you have a glass tank? Glass is really hard to scratch, light scratches in particular are difficult to get.

Yes, I used it on my jbj 28g led and I think it's glass? :)

And, it did not have sand, it was brand new and i stopped after a couple of wipes when I noticed it was leaving behind scratches.

Could it be that you have a very fine layer of micro algae and after a few passes it looked like the glass was scratched?

Could it be that you have a very fine layer of micro algae and after a few passes it looked like the glass was scratched?

It doesn't look scratched, it is scratched. Barely noticeable, but if you look from an angle it's obviously there. I guess, if you apply no pressure while using it, it probably won't scratch. But, I would not use it to remove Coraline or those tough spots, as you will evidently end up scratching the glass. I will stick to the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals brand algae pad, as I never had a problem while using their pads.

Archived