Top Shelf Aquatics

LED Spectral Analysis Graphs HERE.

redfishsc

The LXW8-PW50 is much better balanced and has a much greater output in that range

I tend to disagree. Only difference I can see is more green emission at 530nm pumping up the line a bit. With current LED technology you can have only one main blue line, a big drop, and then green. If you want fill in between than first blue emission and green you have to use additional LED's. This is unlike halides or fluorescent tubes where you can have several additional spikes, not that those are there on purpose :-)

Nothing wrong with Rebels, however, you really should avoid their 'ANSI' low CRI versions which I tried and thought sucked as bad as any cheap Chinese white. Cree makes these as well, but they aren't as common. These are primarily intended to be used in street lights.

Unless Steve posts CRI ratings of his white LED's I will lump them in with any other Chinese white. Use if you're desperate - not if you really care about color. No issue with the blues.

I tend to disagree. Only difference I can see is more green emission at 530nm pumping up the line a bit.

Not so different at 530nm from a neutral white XP-G

CreeXP-G.png

Sorry for posting so many datasheet images, lol

jedimasterben
Nothing wrong with Rebels, however, you really should avoid their 'ANSI' low CRI versions which I tried and thought sucked as bad as any cheap Chinese white. Cree makes these as well, but they aren't as common. These are primarily intended to be used in street lights.

Unless Steve posts CRI ratings of his white LED's I will lump them in with any other Chinese white. Use if you're desperate - not if you really care about color. No issue with the blues.

Here's the datasheets for Steve's LEDs, shows that CRI is 60 minimum, 70 typical for the 5650K he sells. http://stevesleds.com/uploads/Luxeon_ES_Co...teve_s_LEDS.pdf

Let me just interject something here, kinda loudly for people searching this forum and fretting their LED color choices.

IF YOU ARE CONFUSED ABOUT WHAT LED

COMBINATION LOOKS GOOD, THEN JUST ORDER THE

1:2 COMBINATION OF NEUTRAL WHITE AND ROYAL

BLUE--- USING ANY GIVEN CREE OR REBEL LED. THIS

COLOR COMBO LOOKS ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS AND

GROWS CORALS AS WELL OR BETTER THAN ANY

HALIDE OR T5HO I HAVE EVER SEEN.

My PM inbox tends to get firebombed with well-intentioned LED beginners who are worrying themselves into having ulcers over how many turquoise, reds, cyans, cool blues, and other stuff. IT IS NOT WORTH FRETTING OVER.

PLEASE DO NOT OVERCOMPLICATE YOUR FIRST BUILD.

Just use 1:2, neutral white/royal blue. You will be utterly stunned at how good this looks even without all that additional "full spectrum" psycho-discoball colors.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
Let me just interject something here, kinda loudly for people searching this forum and fretting their LED color choices.

IF YOU ARE CONFUSED ABOUT WHAT LED

COMBINATION LOOKS GOOD, THEN JUST ORDER THE

1:2 COMBINATION OF NEUTRAL WHITE AND ROYAL

BLUE--- USING ANY GIVEN CREE OR REBEL LED. THIS

COLOR COMBO LOOKS ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS AND

GROWS CORALS AS WELL OR BETTER THAN ANY

HALIDE OR T5HO I HAVE EVER SEEN.

My PM inbox tends to get firebombed with well-intentioned LED beginners who are worrying themselves into having ulcers over how many turquoise, reds, cyans, cool blues, and other stuff. IT IS NOT WORTH FRETTING OVER.

PLEASE DO NOT OVERCOMPLICATE YOUR FIRST BUILD.

Just use 1:2, neutral white/royal blue. You will be utterly stunned at how good this looks even without all that additional "full spectrum" psycho-discoball colors.

refishc is right. the 1:2 ratio of neutral White to Royal Blue is stunning. The other wavelenghts are really advanced and there is still lots of testing until we find the perfect combo.

But if you do want to do Turquoise/Reds/Cyans etc Just get one of these for every 5 or so Royal blue you have: http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/ocean-coral-white/, simple, easy. No need to worry about getting a disco ball.

jedimasterben
This doesn't seem right... Rebel's getting higher ratings than Cree's? Not likely.

Why? CREE are more expensive, therefore guaranteed better?

Yes, they are very right. The Rebel ES Royal Blue have a higher output than any CREE RB for some time. CREE's are normally more less expensive than the Rebel line too.

I've always preferred the Rebel line over the CREE. Again that is me, I also use them exclusively.

-Dave

This doesn't seem right... Rebel's getting higher ratings than Cree's? Not likely.

I have to agree with Dave, even the PAR meter on the Rebels I've tested showed higher results than the Crees, at the same drive current, with the same primary optic angle (120 deg).Not significantly higher, but higher nonetheless.

Rebels are also quite nice looking.

That being said, I usually use Crees because they are still top-tier and more affordable.

Archived