ReefCleaners.org

DIY Fixture: 24 Ultra Premium LED Kit

PRReef

How come you didn't told me about this build! :angry: turned out great! So now, how do you like LEDs? Did you got what you were expecting?

LOL Im sorry sammy, I thought you already knew about this thread :blush:

I LOVE LEDS!!! and I got them because of you!!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS AND ALL YOUR HELP!!!! THANK YOU!!! :owned::naughtydance::Domgomgomg

How do you like the controller so far? I just built a fixture using the same kit with that controller.

I would say its ok for now, I would prefer the analog control for dimming because the simplicity of just a knob but I guess I need to get used to this controller and his annoying beeps lol :lol:

you welcome! the annoying beep... yea I hate it and I don't even have one haha I got to use one in a lamp I'm building. Also kinda pisses me off that you can't manage the spectrum if you are using any of the three presets, just in manual mode

Issues with the Daylight Controller:

1. for some reason if I keep pressing + to the brightness on the controller the brightness go back to 0% or 20% (which is normal) and right after that the LEDS turn off and Im not able to turn them back on without having to switch channels again or powering cycle the dimmer(NOT NORMAL), not sure if its a Driver problem or a Dimmer problem or its an electrical issue with the voltage etc....

I has been trying to fix this with the help of Mike (rapidled.com guy) who has been really helpfull but I still having the same issues even when I checked everything with the multimeter. (all this happens under MANUAL mode, However if I play a little bit with the brightness on the Auto programs after the sunrise period I get the same issue some times)

Multimeter readings: (connected in series to each LED strings independently)

Driver #1 (whites) = .900mA (With 100% brightness on Daylight controller)

Driver #2 (blues) = .930mA (With 100% brightness on Daylight controller)

the SRV2 is not even half spinned clockwise so I guess is working fine.

is this OK?? I used to see my LEDS a lot brighter than they are right now but Im not sure if I just got used to their brightness. Should I run them at .900mA?

Daylight controller channels readings:

Channel #1 (unused): 8.6V

Channel #2 (blues): 9.4v

Channel #3 (whites): 9.4v

I forgot to play with the brightness + - to see if I get different reading from the multimeter to see if the controller is actually dimming each channel. Guess I will check that out tonight when I get home.

The second issue is:

I can control the brightness of the blue LEDS controlled by Channel #2 on the daylight controller BUT I can't control the brightness of the whites on channel #3 at this moment. I tried switching channels on the Daylight controller but is not making any difference. If I disconnect one of the Driver all the other LEDS connected to the other driver turn off and I cant turn the LEDS back on not matter what channel Im in(not sure if its normal)

If any of you know how to identify when its a dimmer problem or a driver problem please let me know so I can sleep in peace again.

EVIL Im summoning you!!!! LOL. You seems to be the answer for everything LEDS related so if you can throw some helpfull info on this as you always do I will appreciated.

Like I said, I would like to know if this is a DRIVER issue, a Controller Issue or Im too st00pid to figure things out, I just want to make sure whats wrong to get a replacement.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Sorry boss, I have no experience with that controller, so I can't really offer any good advice this time around.

Issues with the Daylight Controller:

1. for some reason if I keep pressing + to the brightness on the controller the brightness go back to 0% or 20% (which is normal) and right after that the LEDS turn off and Im not able to turn them back on without having to switch channels again or powering cycle the dimmer(NOT NORMAL), not sure if its a Driver problem or a Dimmer problem or its an electrical issue with the voltage etc....

I has been trying to fix this with the help of Mike (rapidled.com guy) who has been really helpfull but I still having the same issues even when I checked everything with the multimeter. (all this happens under MANUAL mode, However if I play a little bit with the brightness on the Auto programs after the sunrise period I get the same issue some times)

Multimeter readings: (connected in series to each LED strings independently)

Driver #1 (whites) = .900mA (With 100% brightness on Daylight controller)

Driver #2 (blues) = .930mA (With 100% brightness on Daylight controller)

the SRV2 is not even half spinned clockwise so I guess is working fine.

is this OK?? I used to see my LEDS a lot brighter than they are right now but Im not sure if I just got used to their brightness. Should I run them at .900mA?

Daylight controller channels readings:

Channel #1 (unused): 8.6V

Channel #2 (blues): 9.4v

Channel #3 (whites): 9.4v

I forgot to play with the brightness + - to see if I get different reading from the multimeter to see if the controller is actually dimming each channel. Guess I will check that out tonight when I get home.

The second issue is:

I can control the brightness of the blue LEDS controlled by Channel #2 on the daylight controller BUT I can't control the brightness of the whites on channel #3 at this moment. I tried switching channels on the Daylight controller but is not making any difference. If I disconnect one of the Driver all the other LEDS connected to the other driver turn off and I cant turn the LEDS back on not matter what channel Im in(not sure if its normal)

If any of you know how to identify when its a dimmer problem or a driver problem please let me know so I can sleep in peace again.

EVIL Im summoning you!!!! LOL. You seems to be the answer for everything LEDS related so if you can throw some helpfull info on this as you always do I will appreciated.

Like I said, I would like to know if this is a DRIVER issue, a Controller Issue or Im too st00pid to figure things out, I just want to make sure whats wrong to get a replacement.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

I was getting 9.96 volts on each channel with the brightness set to 100%. I'm not sure why your controller does that when you change the brightness down to 0. Mine will go off then come right back on when I hit the + or - on the controller.

I was getting 9.96 volts on each channel with the brightness set to 100%. I'm not sure why your controller does that when you change the brightness down to 0. Mine will go off then come right back on when I hit the + or - on the controller.

Yeah its weird, maybe its defective, Mike sent me a new one 2 days ago, hopefully now I'm going to be able to dim separately.

Also not sure why but the only 2 cool blue connected to my Whites are now dead,only those 2 blues, the others(whites) are working fine, the blues that are not working are not looking like burned because they doesnt look black or anything, they look like the first day I got them. Im thinking the drivers or the dimmer has something to do with this. I hope Mike (rapidled.com) send me replacement free of cost because this was not user fault and all my wiring are perfectly soldered.

AFRobert568

I hope everything works out for you. I have been looking at the exact same kit you did, including the controller. I’m not as confident as you sound with my DIY sills, so I’m nervous when you are experiencing problems.

How did you get the warm whites and not all cool whites? Did you have to call them and were there any additional cost?

I hope everything works out for you. I have been looking at the exact same kit you did, including the controller. I’m not as confident as you sound with my DIY sills, so I’m nervous when you are experiencing problems.

How did you get the warm whites and not all cool whites? Did you have to call them and were there any additional cost?

Thank You :) Actually now everything is little better since I can control each color seperatly.

Its easy you should be fine soldering the LEDS, you just need to make sure you follow the - + - + ..... pattern at thats it.

I got the neutral whites because I wrote a note when I made the order. I got two cool blues too as part of the kit.

Good Luck :)

I finally got the dimmer to work fine, Im dimming each color seperatly and evrything seems to be ok.

NOW the problem is that when I put the lowest brightness of the dimmer the LEDS are blinking every 1 1/2 second If I skip that position they work fine, When I checked the voltage was jumping from 350mA to -1. I bet its something with the driver, the blue ones are working perfect but the whites are doing this, I guess thats why the Cool Blue I had connected to the whites are now dead.

Still waiting for Mike (rapidled.com) to reply back about replacements.

Im still happy because I finally can play with the colors but I hope I can get replacements this same week so I can hook everything up before traveling for my vacation. I will be out of town for 10 days.

• 5 weeks later...

Final Update about this project:

Everythings works perfectly after switching controller. I really like the way I can play with the temp color. All my corals respond very well to this new lightning EXCEPT my red lava mushrooms, they are trying to hide from the light even when I dimmed the LEDS. I guess they just dont like LEDS and thats it.

After getting a Kenya trees and sinularia invasion, I'm ready to move to a bigger tank. I sold frags like crazy last weekend (I got $250 just selling frags) and decided to pick a 45g Marineland Cube. Im still waiting for the cube to arrive to my LFS and the new lightning system.(NOT LEDS though)

I sold this unit to my very best friend, I think LEDS are good but to be honest after having them for a while they dont impress me anymore. They look very sterile to me.

SO, i bought a 24" metal halides+T5 fixture, forgetting about LEDS for a few years. Maybe I go back to LEDS later, may be not :P I love halides :D

I guess Im old school hahahahaha and dont mind about paying $50 bucks for a HQI every year, is not a big issue for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived