Top Shelf Aquatics

Some type of tubeworm

Grub

Hi,

I don't have a pic, so let me describe:

I have a 6-gal tank, operating for about four months now. In the last 6 weeks I've begun dosing with B-Ionic calcium to promote corraline algae growth and keep my Wellsophylia happy.

The tank is looking great.

Since I've been dosing calcium, however, I've had about four new critters (I think some type of tubeworms) appear.

They've all appeared on this one frag of mushrooms. They have alabaster-white tubes, which are very hard -- I'm guessing they take advantage of all the calcium. The tubes are about 2 inches in length now. Coming out of the tubes are these beautiful and solid white fans. They are about the size of a dime right now. The fans (tentacles) look just like feather duster worms, except I've never seen any feather dusters that were solid white.

They react to movement and will retreat into their tubes if I put my finger in front of the glass. But they'll reappear in about 5 seconds.

Any idea what these might be?

yes they are tue worms or feather dusters which ever you like to call them. they are a good thing. means a healthy tank. it you really want them to tank off feed some invert food.like DT's or Marinesnow.

• 1 year later...

There are some all-white featherdusters, they are just rare. I've had small ones like that in red, white, pink, and purple. Very cool IMO. :)

Archived