Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Purple Sea Fan

macrodactyla

macrodactyla

Anyone here know anything in regards to the husbandry of the purple sea fan? I've often thought of constructing a specimen nano tank for one. The problem with that is the only aquaculture source I've seen details no information on basic husbandry. I would appreciate it if anyone could forward me info or a link where I could figure out what it needs, If it is at all possible to keep....

It's a gorgonian, some of which are photosynthetic and some of which aren't photosynthetic. They come from deep water reefs and generally grow way too large for a nanocube.

Other than that, with proper feedings of zooplankton and marine snow, they're actually quite hardy. If you do try a photosynthetic type, its going to need low actinic lighting and daily feedings of it's polyps. They prefer moderate current and will extend their polyps at night to feed.

I have a purple frilly gorgonian in a tall hex tank. It's very easy to take care of, and facinating to watch. Med - high light, strong current, and Marine Snow.

Archived