ReefCleaners.org

eclispe 6 or 12

burrito

i want to start myself a little nano either a 6 or a 12 i have my eye on the eclispe systems, but from what i have read on this board lighting is a major concern if i want some coral in my tank. would the lighting in these systems be sufficient, could i upgrade the bulbs if i needed too? and also would i need any other type of filtration other then mabye a powerhead? tia

burrito, i think the eclipse12 is an awesome system. but it does need to be upgraded, unless you wanted to keep maybe some shrooms and the like. i yanked the lighting out of my 12(13watts) and upgraded to the 2x32watt retro from csl. but i did have to remove the stock filtration(it sucked anyway), and replaced it with an aquaclear200 hob. i just like the look of the tank and the enclosed hood, very clean imo.

do you have any pictures of the modifications you did? or can u point me in the right direction with the 12? seeing as how natural filtration is pretty good, deep sand and rocks.. could the stock filter be used just as something to move the water around?

sorry, i don't have any pics yet.(but soon) you can use the stock filtration(minus the bio-wheel) for water movement, and to run carbon. the only reason i took mine out was so that i could fit the 2x32w retro. if you upgrade to the single 32w supernova, you can still keep the stock filter. but, it does block a lot of light from getting to the back of the tank. even 32watts is better than the 13watt that comes with it. check this link out, it's a member's tank and he's using the single 32watt supernova with the stock filtration.

http://reef.kamdesai.com/

it will give you an idea of what you can keep under 32watts of lighting. plus, it's easier than what i did to get the 2x32w retro in my hood. oh yeah, you'll still want to add a powerhead for more water movement. i, personally, have the ac200 powerfilter along with 2 powerheads in the tank. turbulent water is good..

IMO if you are going to get an eclipse 6 and remove the filter you'd be better of getting a 7 gallon AGA glass mini-bow. Cheaper, glass doesn't scratch as easily as acrylic and the mini-bow is easier to mod.

Archived