Coral Vue Hydros

how to keep sand STUPID WHITE CLEAN

ReefDreamz

Fishnewbie27

I've had really good luck with sand shifting inverts like a Nassarius Snail and a Sand Sifting Starfish these guys keep my sand pretty clean and white B)

Nassarius snails are great but I wouldn't recomend a sand sifting starfish for a small tank.

Keep your nitrates and phosphates really low... this will keep algae from growing. I tend to keep a shallow sandbed so that it's easier to siphon when I do waterchanges. My sand stays pretty white.

joesmoe517

i use a tiny gravel/sand vac with each water change to take out some detritus build-up... also keeps the sandbed clean of gunk

this, and syphoning/good parameters

i dont even vacuum my sand at all. if anything i stir it up with a turkey baster (only like 1/8th of it at a time) before a water change so all the debris gets sucked in my filter. low nutrients and my cuc keep it super clean.

xerophyte_nyc

Nassarius snails eat carrion - make sure you provide them with enough food.

The key to keeping sand clean naturally is to house enough detritivores to do the work for you - not only things you can see like snails or small sand sifting stars, but also the tiny things like pods, small crustaceans, worms, larvae, etc. To keep a viable sandbed ecosystem, the animals need to be fed and housed appropriately. If done correctly they should keep the sand very clean.

If you have a shallow bed, or use coarse sand, or have animals that disturb the sand, or are implementing a very low nutrient system, then your best bed is to regularly vacuum because the tank will then lack the capacity to keep detritivores alive and healthy long-term.

• 1 month later...

agreed on the accumulated wastes of the sandbed organisms, even the stirrers. some type of manual work will be required is my opinion

If you've ever owned a sandbed that was 4 or more years you'll see the brownness is imminent. good luck Sir

regularly taking off the top layer in the bad spots and a quick replace with a handfull of fresh sand is the best method I could fathom.

1)Efficient sand stirrers (Fighting conch,cerith snail etc..)

2)Extremely low nutrients (very low phosphate and nitrate levels should be 0)

3)Weekly siphoning to remove detritus

My twin spotted goby keeps my sand nice and clean. Just cany keep too many corals on the sandbed since they occasionally get burried.

My twin spotted goby keeps my sand nice and clean. Just cany keep too many corals on the sandbed since they occasionally get burried.

Agreed. If you can keep your corals up a lil bit a sifting goby will keep the sand spotless. The only problem is they often like to sprinkle it where ever they please. golden headed and dragon gobies come to mind for heavy sifters. two spot being the smaller of the sifters..so is a good choice.

• 2 weeks later...
ReefDreamz

Funny everyone says to Sift the Sand and use a siphon during WC's...... I think I'll call myself out on this one, but i have NEVER in 3 years done this....

SO, with that said.... Advice on how to properly sift/siphon the sand???

Easy, take it out and replace it with black sand. Vac with every water change.

How does replacing it with black sand keep it white?

How does replacing it with black sand keep it white?

Well first it help you recognize when someone's trollin

when i try to syphon my sand, i end up sucking a bunch out. is it okay to be pulling out sand with each WC? I just purchased a new bag of live sand and I'm going to be adding about a handful every 2 days to add more now.

nor_cal_nano

Sure. If you don't mind replacing it.

I dial back the flow on my siphon hose when I go to clean the sand. That way it only picks up the lightweight detritus on top. Most of the sand stays behind.

well im thinking about replacing my sand completely, so if i choose to syphon on my sand will that cause any negative effects on my tank? after i remove all the sand I want to slowly add some new sand

Archived